Tuesday, August 11, 2009

summer pod and bud prints

Good morning! I'm up before the sun rises to bring you this next edition of pod printing. Are you ready for more? Go out to your yard and search for firm, but not dry flowers, pods, etc. Gather a bunch. The fun is in experimenting. My four year old loved the Campanula (bell flower) buds the most. Those poppy pods had me from the start! Here is one of our collaborations when we traded favorites:

We used Color Box pigment stamp pads. I use these for my own stamping on paper. I love how saturated they are with ink.

Scraps of Kraft paper were cut into notecards and we proceeded to make stationery printed with bits from our yard in August.


Little pieces make great book marks for summer reading. I backed the paper with our version of cardstock, a cereal box. Punched a hole. Threaded some hemp string through a shell my daughter had chosen, and tucked it into her book of the hour. Isn't her Campanula stamping lovely?
I had a wonderful discovery yesterday after another huge storm... the dried out poppy pods can be brought back to life after a torrential downpour. They just need a good soaking! Next up: some little samples of our new garden FABRIC stamped with pods. Pin It

25 comments:

  1. That's such a lovely, simple idea with beautiful results. Can't wait to try it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happen to love the results
    of the Campanula too, your
    daughter has great taste!
    Beautiful! And my favorite part
    simple. Thank you for waking up
    oh so early to show us this!
    Thank you Maya~
    Loads of love to you and yours,
    Rane and kids
    ~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way.... Little bear is one
    of our favorite books too!!
    Love it!
    Rane
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello - unknown wildflower is silene latifolia (Caryophyllaceae).

    Fantastic blog - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you bajerowicz! I love having an unknown identified! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea! I have lots of Campanula, too!
    (Although we call it "balloon flower" as right before it opens it looks like a hot air balloon:0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maya-Your pod prints are so cute. And so fun to do with the kiddos. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I appreciate it. I will let you know how it all goes.
    :) Dana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun stuff. I'll have to collect goodies like that for when my granddaughter comes to visit. jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such wonderful ideas! I think that my kids would love this too, might try it tomorrow...after a trip to the park to see what we can find to print with. I think that counts as a full summer day activity. :) Looking forward to seeing the fabric that you made too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this - guess what I will be playing with tomorrow!! thanks for the idea..................

    ReplyDelete
  11. i knew poppies were magical... i love this idea! thank you sharing, maya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, how brilliant!! and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to try this with the kids. Thanks so much for the awesome project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the flower paper! What a creative and easy idea. I have just started my own blog and I am clueless as to what to do next I'm still trying to figure this blogging thing out. lol Love your sight and maybe I can learn a thing or two from your craftiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. All beautiful, Maya!

    You're an inspiration!

    Vikki :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh yay! more goodness, and i love how "embraced" your stamp pads look :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hiee maya, you have such a lovely bubble space here and im so happy to have found you. :) You are an inspiration and im loving this pods craft! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh! Here you are! So long ago, I stumbled on your blog and read a post that I LOVED-about a sewing space in your barn, perhaps for your mother. Then, I lost you and NOW I've found you by reading the latest issue of Artful Blogging! This has made my day! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maya, this is such a gorgeous idea! Nature is so beautiful, enhanced even more so with your artistic touch. I look forward to trying this wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! Might be a good project for outdoor art day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how your mind works and how your hands make it real.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looking for something like this for my next examiner article. linking soon.http://www.examiner.com/x-13329-Des-Moines-Frugal-Family-Examiner

    ReplyDelete