Monday, June 18, 2012

botanical printing 2012

b printing 4 Although I've taught this class each time at Squam it's always different. What remains the same (and is my constant joy) is the support and encouragement that grows out of this simple printing process. The paritcipants always gather to celebrate eachother as individual prints are revealed. It transforms a solitary creative process into something witnessed and applauded. This might sound intimidating to a quiet person, but it's done with such gentle enthusiasm- and it seems to feed everyone's spirit in just the way they need it most. b printing 5 b printing 6
 My favorite moments in this class were those times when someone's first claim "but I can't draw" was pushed aside with an astonished "I can't believe I did that!". It happened again and again. What an honor to be a part of someone's switch in perception of their true gifts. printing1 printing3 printing 2 It's quiet, meditative work and I wish I had even more photos of each woman in their "zone", but this gives you a sense...
b printing 3
b printing 2 Another fun memory was throwing an impromptu mini birthday party for the lovely Adel. . 
I must tell you that we bonded instantly when she came into class with her fist ambition to print a luna moth! Can you find it amidst their first sample swatches? b printing Thank you to each of these inspiring and beautiful women, I'm so grateful to have had an opportunity to share this new medium with them. You can click on the bottom photo to take you to flickr to check out the photo in a larger size and get a sense of their gorgeous work. I'll be teaching Botanical Printing again in the fall. It will be the first time in a new environment... by the sea! b printing class shot
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful collection of prints. It looks like an incredible class to be involved in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maya-It was wonderful from start to finish. Thank you so much for the encouragement you gave me to step outside my comfort zone! I loved getting to know you just a little and am so glad I was able to take your class. I've got big plans for my little sheep. I'm actually proud of them! (I made a little post today about your class.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly should be proud, Dianne! They were wonderful. I meant everything I said about your eye for simple design. Don't stop drawing and printing!

      Delete
  3. Looks like an amazing class -- and the setting-- wow, that fireplace is way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is so beautiful! I must find a way to make it to Squam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you do one day! I got something lovely in the mail from you today!xxx

      Delete
  5. Wow - all the work is beautiful - oh I think I must start saving for Squam - we are just 2 hours away.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you again Maya, for everything. :)
    Adel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a pleasure to meet you and spend your birthday together!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful workshop, Maya. Thank you for sharing and inspiring those of us too far away to attend to have a go. The finished product looks beautiful. Everyone looks like they had a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete