Friday, September 2, 2011

day's end

Cosmos
This photo was taken yesterday. As the sun began to set, the very last rays illuminated the cosmos out front. This is one of my favorite times of day, especially when it's warm enough to be outside with bare feet and short sleeves. I've taken to sitting on the front porch as the sun goes down. I love watching the sun disappear over the horizon.  It only takes a few moments and is easy to miss. When I lived on the West coast, I'd watch that firy ball set into the sea and listen for the "sizzle". Out here, it slips down over a field and into the earth... much more of a warm sigh or exhalation. Watching the day turn into night... sometimes I witness it alone- with the evening's soundtrack (dishes clanking, piano practicing, and my favorite voices) filtering through the screen door. Other times, I find myself with someone warm on my lap or walking down the road with a tall boy or my sweet man. Always pausing. Endlessly admiring.

Of course, lovely sunsets will not end with summer, but I know that these quiet moments will be harder to find. Schedules are about to shift. I will be taking some time to watch the last few sunsets of summer vacation with my family and our dearest friends. See you all back here next Wednesday! Pin It

8 comments:

  1. gah....that is just unbelievably gorgeous, Maya! I love these photos and your description of the slow days of summer. I am going to miss it....thank god it will come again next year! :)
    xo
    Melis

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely- enjoy your holiday with friends and all the magnificent sunsets to come! xoC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great weekend Maya!
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful post...love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to close the day. I'm looking forward to the warmer weather getting here. At the moment it's too cold most days to be out then, but I have been watching the sunsets from my kitchen window. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, beautiful flowers! Love the contrast of pink and white against the black.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Early morning and late afternoon hold special treasures for those ho look for them. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete