Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Squam Art Workshops: The Journal

the journal

 I've reported my love for SAW each time I've returned. Many of you have commented that you hoped to attend one day or that you wished there was something comparable in your own country... well, today I'm happy to tell you about SAW's new venture into the world of publishing. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of The Journal, volume 1.  Pre-sale is $19 and after the 23rd it will cost $25, so I just ordered mine this morning! Right here.
What exactly is it? In their words:
"We understand that not everyone can travel to us, so we are bringing the magic to you! There is a lovely spirit of connection and collaboration that has emerged from the gatherings at Squam Art Workshops.  However, the journal is not about the workshops themselves.  Rather, it is an exploration of the journeys we take, how we can find friendship in the most unexpected places, and the restorative power of natural beauty-- but above all, it is about what happens when you honor your creativity. 

You can look forward to 120 pages of terrific essays and wide ranging conversations about navigating the ups and downs of life with humor, grace, or when all else fails, retail therapy.  The journal is filled with spectacular imagery from beloved photographers including Denise Andrade, Jen Gray, Susannah Conway, Jeanine Caron, and Béatrice Peltre, among many others. There's a pop quiz, a kicky craft project, home tours, and so much more including an actual journal within the book itself. These blank pages provide the opportunity to add your voice to the conversation through your own writing, artwork and photography. Fiber enthusiasts will especially love “A Day in the Life with Jared Flood” and a knitting fairy tale, “The Story of Ravelry” (SPOILER ALERT: it has a happy ending)!  There's a pop quiz, a kicky craft project, home tours, and so much more including an actual journal within the book itself.

Our hope for this 8" x 8" volume is that it will easily tuck into your bag and accompany you everywhere... on the subway, in the cab, on the train, in the airport, on holiday, etc.  We hope it fills your day with inspiration, fresh perspective and belly laughs.  We trust you're going to like it very much as we created it just for you." 

Whenever I've returned home from Squam, I've hungrily devoured every written word (and gorgeous photo) about it on the web. I'm looking forward to having my own bit of portable Squam at my fingertips...  and knowing that the journal's purpose is keep Squam Art Workshops' tuition from having to increase is a wonderful bonus! Plus, there's a little bit of me in there, too. I'll share more when it arrives in my mailbox. Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Oh no...I believe it does mot ship out of the US? At least not when I put in the order in the shipping cost line. Oh boy, if you know how to get it to me in europe I would love to learn how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It ships EVERYWHERE! I just notified them that you had some troubles and they're getting right on it. Blogger is having some commenting issues so sorry for all that have had problems leaving them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am going to order this now. Thank you for sharing. The workshops are actually only a two hour or so ride from us but it has been money that has been holding me back... maybe next year.
    Warm wishes, Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'll try again! Thanks for showing it to them.

    ReplyDelete