Friday, May 21, 2010

summer rolls

summer rolls
It's the season for summer rolls. When the temperature rises and fresh vegetables become plentiful, I love making these hand held meals, almost as much as I love eating them! Who doesn't appreciate when food is fun and lends itself to individualization? Picky eaters can customize their roll. Cilantro lovers can rejoice in a house where cilantro is disdained... you get the idea. These rolls have the added benefit of being wheat free and vegan without trying. I've really embraced my new way of eating. Being vegan again feels quite natural, but staying away from wheat was an experiment that I wasn't sure could last very long. It's been three weeks and I'm enjoying the break. I think our systems appreciate a little vacation from the foods we consume most frequently.
 Summer Rolls
A great option when the kitchen is too hot to cook in and perfect for tucking into lunchboxes and picnic baskets... Ingredients can vary depending on what's in your refrigerator and garden. These rolls held watercress, carrots, scallions, tofu, noodles, black gamasio.
Need:
  • rice paper discs
  • vegetables: carrots, sprouts, lettuce, cabbage, cucumbers, cilantro, mint, watercress
  • cellophane noodles (mung bean thread noodles) optional
  • baked tofu or tempeh optional
  • dishcloths
summer rolls
Make:
  1. Soak noodles according to package instructions.
  2. Thinly slice all vegetables and arrange on platter for easy assembly.
  3. Place rice paper disc in a water bath  make sure all parts are covered. It's  ready as soon as it's completely soft... a couple of minutes. Slip it onto a dishcloth and blot dry. 
  4. Add another disc while you prepare the first roll.
  5. Place all ingredients on the lower center of the rice paper. Fold in the sides. Begin rolling shut. Keep it tight and secure. It will seal itself when you complete it.
summer rolls
summer rolls
summer rolls
summer rolls
Serve with chili sauce, Thai peanut sauce, or tamari and ginger. Delicious! These can vary endlessly and are fun with a crowd!
summer rolls! Pin It

23 comments:

  1. ooohh...these are going straight onto the weekend menu. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow :) I made these a few months back and boy, was it a hit with my family! They really loved the freshness of their spring rolls. :)This reminds me, I should make these again because veggies are abundant now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son's going to like these!! Not a meat lover and he loves dipping sauces. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's 10am and now I am hungry for summer rolls. And you make the preparation look so easy. I will make those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait until we have cilantro in our garden; there is nothing better than putting a heaping bunch of cilantro into a spring roll, your's look super summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm, going to make these this weekend! Make a chili and a peanut sauce for dipping. Do you bake your own tofu??If so what do you do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...that looks really nice!!!
    I think I should try!
    Love your ideas!!
    Love your ginkgo image, too!! I'm trying to make some ginkgo growing, but it's not so easy! I like the leaves of that tree, they're wonderful!!
    I'd like to have more free time to create...you make my hands itching (I don't know if this have sense in english!).
    Greetings from Italy!
    Lau

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mandy-I'm so with you on the cilantro!

    Turtle- we're spoiled in Ithaca. We have our own tofu company and they sell a baked tofu: tofu kan. I do bake my own tofu on occasion, it's simple. Use firm tofu and slice into one inch thick cakes. Marinade in tamari, ginger, maple syrup and garlic. Bake with marinade in a shallow pan at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lau- You said it perfectly! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. pero que buena pinta!!!
    gracias desde EspaƱa

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yea, i'm gonna try me some of these rolls this weekend!

    another great post maya!

    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so beautiful and looks so yummy and fresh. Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently got these rice discs and I did not get a chance to use them.... I'm think right now it would make a good lunch - I've got the tofu the veggies... Thank you Maya.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to make these! And your dishtowels make it all look so lovely. Thanks for an inspiring blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These sound amazing! This is exactly the type of food I've been craving lately. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They looks very good, i'll try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Saw you on the Crescendoh website- Congrats!!!!! Did you make it out to their party last night? It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gah...everyone is making these lately! I am getting HUNGRY! :p The last time I made these, is when I put the recipe on my blog, too...but my family refuses to let me make them again. :( There is something wrong with them!!! I think they are too fresh and healthy for them. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delicious! I love a sneak peek into your world, especially as it's autumn here and so chilly I just want to heat up your summery spring rolls... maybe not. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks maya! i'llbe making these this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. YUMMMMMM!!!!!!!These look so lite, refreshing and delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Maya -

    I made these a couple of days ago and as cliche as it sounds, my husband said they were one of the best meals he thought I'd ever made for him (five years ago, before marriage, I would never ever have believed a) that I would write something so 1950s housewifey or b) that I would be so thrilled that he enjoyed them! We had a great time rolling them up with our kids - how much fun to play with your food! Thanks for the inspiration, I've had them in restaurants and never thought of trying them, but your photos were so lovely and they are so easy, I'm sure we'll make them again and again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete