Friday, July 24, 2009

on the town

Do you ever get a "girls' night out on the town"? It occurs far too rarely around here. For my birthday, Laura made it happen... and in such an amazing way. I'm just landing and catching my breath! On Wednesday I got into a car with three lovely friends and drove into New York City for a jam-packed afternoon/evening of the stuff (my) dreams are made of. We began with the most amazing bookstore (Kinokuniya) I've ever experienced. To say it was "weep-worthy" for me would be an understatement. We then moved onto Purl for gorgeous fabric and pure inspiration... it's very good to have friends that "get" you and know exactly what makes you happy! After a quick walk in the Village it was time for the real reason we had all put aside our regular schedules to drive 4 1/2 hours to the city... a concert in Madison Square Park

with our new favorite female singer/songwriter. I've played this CD of Jonatha's more than anything else since getting to know her at Squam. Even my kids know most of the lyrics by heart!
**************
Between my wonderful date and returning to all of your lovely "first aid kit" comments, I'm feeling full and happy. I can't wait to get a tutorial up... it's such a fun one. I'll try to pull it off soon, but family is arriving from out of town today...
Hope you have a fantastic weekend! Maybe you'll even squeeze in a "girls' night out"! Pin It

19 comments:

  1. That is the perfect night out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home, my Maya ! :) Aww a special girl's night out, how perfect ! I wish I had followed your steps ! If I ever come to the US, you'll have to show me ! :D
    Have a great weekend my friend ! oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a Kinokuniya and you don't have to get on an airplane?
    DROOOOOOOL! XXxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great! Us Mamas need to get out. Here in the UAE we have a Kinokuniya in Dubai and yes, it is awesome - especially in a country where there are no public libraries and not the best bookshops in towns outside of Dubai. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are having one of those beautiful birthday weeks that just keeps on going. I need to put that bookstore on my list for the next visit to NYC.
    Have fun with your visiting family Maya!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maya, I've become an avid reader of your blog. I think your ife and your creations are wonderful!

    I hope you've enjoyed your birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVED our 24 hour shenanigans... still drooling over all my beautiful purchases, it's a tradition my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous that you were able to see Jonatha perform again! I had to laugh when I read about your "perfect" NYC day...it is the exact same as mine. Purl and Kinokuniya, but I always add a stop to ABC Home & Carpet to load up on inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a wonderful celebration! It's always good for mom to have those breaks, they mean so much. I think I may take one myself to head to those stores, it sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like my ideal trip to the city---Maybe a stop for a latte would be the only thing I would add. I'm so glad you had a great time. "Girl" time is sooooo important. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful birthday yours is turning out to be! Happy Birthday, I hope it all continues with family in town.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jonatha has been a favorite of ours for years! Her first album is beautiful--glad you can give her some publicity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the fabric!
    I bought it in blue and made a skirt. It's beautiful and garners TONS of comments.
    What are you going to make?!

    And with such an emphatic recommendation, I will be checking into Jonatha Brooks. Thanks & Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - we saw Jonatha Brooke on my b-day about 10-15 years ago - and it was great!! Her concert was a small, intimate gathering at a record store in Houston TX. We left with an autographed CD and great memories - thanks for the reminder - I'll have to pull out the CD tomorrow. : ) Sounds like you had the perfect birthday - here's to a fabulous year! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love a girl's night out. Thinking of "kidnapping" my bff this weekend. She's stressed from post-college job hunting and my bf's having guy's weekend, so why not!

    Can't wait for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like the perfect afternoon! YOu have good friends.
    I had a great weekend too, spent on the seaside with Oz, just perfect! (And starting the dream of moving there, we even scouted a little for land and houses!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Put me on the list of mums who don't get girl's nights out... one day! Sounds like you have a wonderful time, good on you. Kinokuniya is my favourite bokstore - we have one here in Sydney (Aus), and I've been to the one in Tokyo too. Sooo fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh......I must be an "old girl" I've been listening to Jonatha since Angel in the House. Amazing woman...have seen her several times in concert.

    ReplyDelete