Friday, March 6, 2009

coaxing spring

Spring is a few weeks away on the calendar... but it usually doesn't arrive until late April around here. As the thermometer soared to 60 degrees today, we all decided it was here... at least for a little visit. No jackets... squishy mud... birds calling... There may be more snow, but I'm so grateful for this encouraging reminder that the earth will awaken again... it has begun. To nudge spring along, I cut branches from our forsythia bush last week and brought them inside. I'm coaxing them to bloom early to help us through March... the "almost there!" month. Our outside bush won't burst into yellow flowers until the last week of April. I know this, because each year we make golden crowns from them for May Day. After a week in a jar of water, the tips of the branches are starting to turn green... and unfurl just the tiniest bit. We're watching them each day.
I've never done this so early, but I clearly have Spring Fever. I didn't follow any instructions for forcing my branches... just snipped on a relatively warm day and put them in water. We'll see what happens... I found this nice link for directions if you'd like to try it yourself.
Have a beautiful weekend! Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! I did the same today, pulled myself out of my winter stupor and took a walk with the little guy. It worked wonders for me and blew away some of my winter doldrums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice...I hope they continue to bloom! I've been craving some blossoms myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring has sprung in maya ville. Please send it my way .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been waiting for it to get above freezing to cut some apple tree limbs to bring inside. If I did not have to work today I would have been out there for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that a poster on the wall? A painting? Gorgeous! I love bringing in any bit of Nature's Hope (big or small) to help me keep the faith. Hope to see more pictures once it blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This morning I saw a forsythia about ready to reveal its beautiful yellow flowers... Can't wait for spring and its delicate colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. And love the background behind the branches.

    I almost wish I had freezing temperatures so that I could do this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took some twigs from a poplar and a chestnut tree last week which had to be cut down in a nearby park (they were ill, nearly hollow inside) - and by today there are little green leaves and chestnut buds ready to unfold...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am in love with the bird paper. They look like they are sitting on the branches. Lovely. :~) I've always wanted to try forcing branches. I think it looks so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a little update...two day later and the first bits of yellow are showing!!! Maybe fancy directions are unnecessary... just hope and water. The bird poster is in our sunroom/playroom... a great place for bird sitings. It's a chart from Dover from about ten years ago... faded to perfection in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is so beautiful! Love the birds behind......

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been doing this same thing fro years. It also works with pussywillows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these images - gorgeous. I keep thinking I need to get some stems inside.

    ReplyDelete