Wednesday, March 18, 2009

the birds return

After my screen printing weekend, I've been aching for more. Carving stamps are the perfect remedy for the time being. I'm dreaming up big stamp plans... I'm thinking different series. I'm currently consumed with birds... an annual spring fascination. Birds are a classic favorite for so many of us, and right now they are filling the skies as they fly home to the northeast. Stepping outside my backdoor, I'm hit with the sheer volume of their calls and announcements. I live in the country, surrounded by fields and forests... we have a lot of birds! We've taken out our binoculars and bird books and we're welcoming our feathered friends back by name.

It will be a while before we see a swallow... one of my favorites. I love my tree swallow print, but I started wishing I had one of a barn swallow... which has special significance to me. When my mother and I first toured the upstairs of her barn (pre-renovation), the hayloft... soon to be art studio, had broken windows by the roof. Swallows were soaring in and out, nesting in the rafters. Seeing them swoop in, silouhetted by the streaming sun, was like something out of a dream. So this next stamp was an obvious choice.

After I tested it out on linen with textile paint and fabric stamps...

I felt compelled to sew something delicate for spring. I love scarves during this time of year more than any other season. I wear cozy ones in the fall and winter, but I'm not much into fashion during that time of year... just serious warmth. During the spring, it's such a joy to have something new and fresh and light to accessorize with.

This is made with linen in natural and Michelle Benscko's (Cicada Studio) Dogwood fabric. I was so happy to find it locally at Quilter's Corners and immediately bought a fat quarter, not knowing what it would become.


The bottom is trimmed with more vintage pillowcase trim. I think I have a crush on my own scarf... crazy!
Well, that was way too fun, and I had to make another one...

More linen, cotton crochet and thrifted mini black plaid. I made them up as I went along and just pieced together randomly.


I love them both. They were going into my shop, but I haven't made up my mind if I can part with them. When my husband saw them (and he doesn't usually notice clothing) his first response was "keep them!" The beauty of a stamp: you can always print another! Pin It

32 comments:

  1. I am in love with your swallow stamp. Such beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh they are so beautiful! If they end up in your shop, I will be there clamoring for one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do lovely and amazing work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swallows. Spring memories. So lovely. I, too, await birdie songs and serenades.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous scarves! And YES- you can always make another!! I love the bird stamps. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't keep them :)

    No really, they are absolutely enchanting! I would probably keep them...

    Best,
    K.
    PilliPilli Handmade

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! Maya, I'm in love with that blue scarf. You are so incredibly talented that any project you touch turns into beauty. I love the combination of nostalgia with nature and modernity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them both! I am continuously amazed with your stamp carvings Maya. They are all stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are beautiful! I'll buy the the one with the black and white fabric. Just email me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great scarves! They look beautiful. We love birds too - saw and heard a Barred Owl earlier this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent! Last night I was looking and a great idea for making a "spring" scarf out of men's old shirts thinking that would be nice since it is still a tad chilly!

    My friend has tons of barn swallows in her barn and you captured that "swoop" perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These would make perfect clergy stoles!
    -Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maya,
    These scarves are beautiful!
    I have to tell you a funny story. I follow your blog and have loved the coffee sacks so much. We have a little coffee shop down the street and I asked them to save me some coffee sacks and they agreed. They guy called me a few days later to come pick up my sacks.
    So, I'm all excited about getting the burlap and go up to the shop.
    Out he comes with PLASTIC coffee sacks. Big ones.
    I was terribly disappointed but thanked him anyway - he was very kind.
    Who knew?
    I'll have to find another coffee shop.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  14. The swallow scarves are stunning! Yes, please keep them since they bring pleasure to you and your family. After the long, frosty winter, it is a joy to see (and wear) spring! That swallow stamp is so beautiful, and I look forward to more beauties inspired by it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mother-in-law is an avid bird watcher and I would love to buy one of those for her. They are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The stamp is exquisite! I say keep those gorgeous scarves for yourself! I so did not need to know that I can get Cicada Studio fabric locally! My bank account is groaning in protest!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a thing for swallows, too! And, i love your creations. Very beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE what you've done- that really natural feel with the cool blue and your perfect swallow print... just lovely! The other is equally gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am in awe over that bird filled tree! Such a beautiful sight! Your hand made items with birds are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. we haven't got the swallows back yet either but this morning I did see a pair of woodpeckers coming out of the nest they used last year - it made my day :-)
    lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  22. That scarf is great...as grammie says- spring is here, the birds are telling me so.

    ReplyDelete
  23. More reasons for you to adopt me Maya! It would just be heaven to be around all of your magical creativity!
    *sigh* I love, LOVE these beautiful scarfs you made Maya....just wonderful!
    xo
    Melis

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love that swallow!!!! And, those scarves are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. they're beautiful - especially the photos of the one in front of the large tree.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really love the way the first one shows when it's wrapped. The stamping looks beautiful and professional - am I forgetting something or aren't you new to carving your own?

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow! wow! thank you all so much for your amazing feedback... it means so much to me and helps steer my direction and plan my course. I'm feeling very grateful to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't blame your husband! These
    are lovely~ I really think that the
    red one is my favorite though!
    You are soooo talented! Beautiful
    work!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my! Love this stamp, and your scarf is so beautiful! You are so talented girlie...... xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am in love with your stamp and your scarves.
    Is that even legal??

    ReplyDelete
  31. so pretty....
    my husband occasionally does that with things i make too....it always surprises me when he actually thinks i should keep something....so maybe you should keep some...but make some for the shop too :)

    ReplyDelete