Friday, February 20, 2009

have a cup with me...

I'd love to have you over for a cup of tea. I often feel like I do when I'm posting. Different hot beverages are always at my side, depending on what time of day it is.

I just wanted to share with you Bev's response to yesterday's post. She doesn't have a computer so my aunt (Bev's baby girl... who is my grandparents main support and next door neighbor) brought over a printed version of the post. She saved your comments for dessert and read them at her daughter's house during her little party. Bev was so overwhelmed and delighted by your wishes. She thanks each of you deeply. It meant so much to her. So much. Isn't the world amazing? Isn't life incredible?

My grandmother traveled around the world 75 years ago. Here is the first page (that's right there is another one, too!) of the places she visited.

Yesterday she did it again! The significance of the many countries her birthday wishes came from, did not go unnoticed. She feels like she got a second chance at a round the world trip! What a gift that was! Bev said, "I always thought the world was rather small... but it just got tiny." I think she really understands the magnitude of what is happening via the internet today. Countless friendships are being forged, support is being given, laughter is being shared... all over the world. Right this moment. You could be sitting in your office in LA, or drinking coffee in a cafe in Paris, or typing in pajamas in a farmhouse in New York (that would be me), or out in your courtyard in Argentina, or even coming in from a walk in a Canadian forest... we are all connected,whoever and wherever we are. Doesn't that make you take a deep breath. Somehow it feels different... bigger thinking of it within the context of someone who has the perspective my grandmother does. After all, it took many months and three ships to travel the distances we do at the click of a button.

I will not take this magic for granted. I am so grateful to be part of this movement towards a global community. I'm so happy you're here with me! Pin It

15 comments:

  1. This is so heartwarming! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, having a cup of tea with friend is exactly what blogging feels like:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just telling Morna yesterday how lucky I feel to have met all you wonderful people out there. When I first moved to France it was very hard for me being in a new country, not knowing the language and having left all my friends and family behind. I had my dear hubby of course and that helped but meeting all the wonderful people out in blog land helped too! I love meeting all these people with the same interests, full of bright ideas, encouragement and support. We are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it always feels like a cuppa and warm conversation when I read posts from you, Maya. I've been quiet on the commenting front here but have been reading.

    I'd love to have a cuppa and chat with your grandmother, too. What an extraordinary person!

    word verification "muddlin".... a bit like I feel sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore her handwriting. It was such an art back then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman! That travel journal is a real treasure - it must be so fascinating to read. I love your comparison of the internet to traveling. The way it has opened up the world is really incredible.

    Happy (late) birthday, Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a honor just to be here!
    She has travel so she can see
    how far we are truely reaching,
    she was alive when a letter might
    take a month to recieve. Amazing
    what has happened really in
    span of one life time. I wonder
    what will happen by the time I
    am a grandmother. I am happy that
    she had a good birthday, I hope
    next year is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is beautiful, you have a amazing gran

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an absolutely amazing, inspiring woman! Such an independent spirit! I am sipping a mug of Moroccan mint tea right now, warming my hands on the cup, and imagining that you, Bev, and all the other readers are out there somewhere doing the same. Thank you for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She has been to Manila, Philippines - where I was born!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maya, your words are so beautiful and true. I felt my heart swell reading the post, as we are so lucky to be able to connect with people all around the world amazingly on a daily basis.

    I sincerely enjoy visiting with you Maya and sipping virtual tea! Your spirit and creativity constantly inspire me on the other side of the country.

    May your wonderful Bev have many, many more happy birthdays and wishes come true to come!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here here for the positive implications of the internet! In amongst all the negatives you hear about it, real friends are brought together.

    I met my wonderful partner online, this week made lunch for a blog friend & her family whom I had never met before and in September am off to stay with another blog friend in France.

    As Diane said we are so lucky!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This and Yesterday's post are 2 of my favorite posts ever. The tribute to Bev and to tell her story are stories that need to be heard around the world. What a great honor to have Bev in your live and a great honor to her to tell us. Happy Bee-lated to Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a tremendous legacy you have in your grandmother and your mother! You my friend are a grand testimony to that legacy, and yes these internet connections have made me feel like I get to travel around the world and have friends in the most unlikely places, like a farmhouse in New York!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing treasure for you to have and I just love the modern perspective you offer.

    My mother has my grandfather's {her father's} journal from his travels around the world and it gives me goose bumps each time I read it. At the time, he was in his late teens and dating my grandmother, Rose. At the end of each daily entry he talks about how much he misses "Rosebud" and can't wait to get back to her. Other than occasional, handwritten letters, they went months and months without communicating. Just imagine...if only they could have blogged about it. :)

    Happy belated birthday to your wonderful and inspiring grandmother.

    ReplyDelete