Monday, February 23, 2009

bit of sunshine

Is it really the last week of February? I know it's a short month, but it usually drags on with dreary, gray days. This year, this month has flown by and brought some sunny skies and an almost complete thaw. All of the gorgeous yellows appearing in everyone's photographs, for Erin's color week, really inspired my making over the break. I did sew up some more sachets! I dug through my scrap bag for yellows and yellow/greens to bring to mind warmth and the green growth that will surely follow. Each one is filled with organic lavender and guaranteed to lift your spirits and bring a spot of happiness to your drawers or closet. Doesn't this look like a big bowl of sunshine?


I've been keeping mine in my purse to infuse it with that heady scent. It came in very handy while standing in a long line the other day. I passed it back and forth with my four year old, and we were the most mellow grocery shoppers ever! I highly recommend making some for yourself... I'll put these ones in my shop for those of you non-sewing lavender lovers.

I've also been working on more coffee sack buckets for another update on Friday. I'll have the round medium and large ones that I haven't had in a while... especially nice for keeping handwork stashed in.
Very kind requests for more garlic and onion sacks have been coming in... a bunch are on the way! I'm working out a more efficient way to print them. Hand cut one-of-a-kind stencils are an act of love I wish I could keep giving, but I know there is an easier way. So... I carved my very first stamp yesterday: my garlic bulb. I'm so excited by the potential carving holds!

I'll share my process and how the fabric printing turns out later this week. I love trying new techniques... makes me feel like a little girl with a new toy: giddy! If you've recently tried something new that got you excited, I'd love to hear about it...

Have a wonderful start to your week ! Pin It

25 comments:

  1. I was so inspired by your use of coffee sacks that I went out and picked some up myself! I've got a question for you though: How do you wash them or do you? The ones that I got are a bit dusty and I'm wondering the best way to clean them up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the stamp! can't wait to see more. with all the lovely stamps i've been seeing on my fave blogs, i think we're going to give it a try. i can imagine my son will be excited to do some carving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Süper
    Bunlarda benim yaptıklarım
    Sevgiler

    http://yldoz.blogspot.com/2009/02/2009-lavanta-elbiseler-lavanta-kesesi.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was completely inspired by your heart shaped potato prints and the little garland you stitched up with those, that I made several myself. I haven't done potato stamps in years. It was so fun! My small metal heart shaped cookie cutter made making the stamp even easier. I was positively giddy over it all, and I think I had the most fun decorating for Valentine's Day ever! Thanks so much for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore all the beautiful yellow maya.
    Your new stamp is fantastic and I am sure it will print on your fabric beautifully. I think it is wonderful all the yellow and printing that I am seeing on line this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet little sachets with great fabric choices... lavendar is my favorite! I really like the style of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I am having the same washing question with the coffee bags.
    I also am wondering where you get the Maya*made tags made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the ruffle on that one sachet that has me swooning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I love your yellow bowl! All of it is lovely, but I'm a sucker for pretty bowls :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect garlic! Looking forward to the "how to's".

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bulb stamp is FABULOUS! I have a serious case of garden fever and this only fans the flames!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable and wonderful!! You are as always such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. where do you buy the lavender? love all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sachets are so pretty! Oh how I love lavender!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made your potato stamp heart garlands for V-day and that was a pretty "giddy" craft moment for me. It was so easy and pretty. I think they'll stay up permanantly! Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to hear the answer on coffee bag washing. I tried airing mine out then went to a laundromat to wash them but some were still stinky so I left them outside a LONG time and now they are ok. Just wondered if you had any tricks up your sleeve :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just started making some stamps for the first time a couple days ago and it is so addicting! Yours is very nice, I'm sure it will make those bags a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Garlic stamps? I always appreciate your ingenious and creative mind!! I can't wait for your shop update and hopefully can drop in before all of the EST fans snatch up the beautiful inventory.

    For Valentine's Day, I worked on my first embroidery project -- EVER. I stiched a felt heart containing a hidden message for my husband, as well as a very geeky felt USB keychain holder with an owl on it ;) It was certainly fun learning a new "trade," and my husband could not tell that the stiches were not straight!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are darling!
    And I do love a bit o' shine. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gah..I so could use those lavender bags right now..I have the biggest headache!

    I, too, want to know how you get the stink out of burlap..I love your buckets and bags so much that I snapped up some gorgeous yardage of RED burlap at the thrift store, but now am finding the smell totally puts me off, AND the feel of it gives me the creeps! rofl

    And yeah..stamp carving..ADDICTIVE.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your garlic stamp is fantastic! I can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love that fabric... it's the Amy Butler Martini, right? I have it in the linen color screaming to become a skirt. I'm curious about the coffee bag question, too. Keep meaning to email my local roastery for some bags for myself. Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Lavender scrap bags are so pretty. And what a fabulous idea to keep one in your purse. (I also, absolutely adore the love letter pillows from your Valentine post....)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the little sachets with the colorful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've just gotten into carving stamps too -- I agree about how transformative it is! I'm sure you've seen Lena Corwin's book "Printing By Hand" -- it's been my bible for the process. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete