Thursday, April 24, 2008

toys from nature

Gunther Keil
I recently discovered a modern day Gepetto living down the road. Gepetto was the famous toymaker who brought Pinocchio to life. Gunther Kiel, of Wild Apples, has been making beautiful crafted natural toys from wood for over thirty years. When I first visited his toyshop/studio, I felt like I was stepping into a page from a storybook. The walls were neatly lined with all his whimsical creations and there sat Gunther at his workbench, looking every bit the magical elf you'd expect to create such beautiful toys. In this day and age of plastic and disposable, where most items available to our children are mass produced, how wonderful to find lovingly handcrafted toys using non-toxic finishes, local woods, and green energy. Mama Goose's new store will be carrying a selection of Wild Apple Toys and if you'd like to find out more about Gunther or how to purchase something from his wooden menagerie, click here.







Pin It

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic post! I can just imagine his storybook workshop, and I'm in love with his toys. Such craftsmanship! Keep alerting us to these local artists and craftspeople!

    ReplyDelete