Thursday, April 8, 2010

how to make an aqua scope

Read the exciting story, here, about how and why we made these underwater viewers. If you already have, then you know how extremely useful an aqua scope can be! I'm sure they're also fun for simple observations, as well.
Aqua Scope
Materials:
  • plastic yogurt container
  • clear plastic from a plastic bag, food wrap, or shower curtain

  • rubber bands
  • x-acto knife

Make:
  1. Cut out the bottom of the container with an x-acto knife. Scissors will only crack the plastic. This should be done by and adult... and done with care.
  2. Stretch plastic over the cut out bottom and hold it in place with two rubber bands. Make sure that it is secured tightly. 
  3. Cut away any excess plastic.
  4. Of possible interest: we didn't have any plastic wrap in the house, so I ran upstairs to the shower and snipped off a segment from the clear shower curtain liner! Because of our well water's high iron and mineral content, there were water deposits all over it making it useless for seeing through. Luckily, I remembered that vinegar cuts right through iron sediment and we were able to spiff up our plastic!

    Take your aqua viewer down to a pond, lake, or creek and observe life underwater in a whole new way. Submerge the plastic covered bottom into the water and place your eyes into the container. Of course, if your glasses slip in first, you'll know how to find them!
    Pin It

    13 comments:

    1. So great. Yogurt containers have so many uses, this is one I would never have thought of. Brilliant idea.

      ReplyDelete
    2. ah ! thanks Maya !
      the boys are in bed now, but I'll show them tomorrow morning ! :)
      you're a superstar ! oxoxo

      ReplyDelete
    3. Very cool - you can bet we'll be trying this one at the lake once it's warm enough!

      ReplyDelete
    4. LOVE IT!! my little one will rejoice when we get this made. thanks - as always for your wonderful, inspiring blog.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Such a smart idea. I wish I had thought of it when my kids were Littles and playing in our small creek. I'll remember it for my grands tho! Thanks for sharing the great idea.

      Jody

      ReplyDelete
    6. Love it! Putting this on the "will do" list ;-)

      ReplyDelete
    7. Thanks for sharing how to make the aqua scope. I thought you would have these looooong instructions, but it seems it's pretty fast to make. can't wait to try it this summer when we are at the cabin going on hikes by the creek.

      ReplyDelete
    8. I heard your interview on www.craftsanity.com this week-very inspiring!

      ReplyDelete
    9. You can also use a metal coffee can. (Do they make those any more?) This is I used years ago with my Girl Scout troop. It was easy to remove the bottom of the can with a can opener and then apply duct tape to the edges to prevent anyone getting cut. The Girl Scouts used to do so many things with coffee cans!

      ReplyDelete
    10. As a glasses wearer since childhood myself, I can so identify with this!! I have linked to the idea from my 'friday's favourites' post on my blog over here in the UK!
      www.littleblossomschildminding.blogspot.com

      Have a great weekend!!

      jenni

      ReplyDelete
    11. I love this. I have two boys and this is a perfect thing to do with them.Thank you.

      ReplyDelete
    12. Brilliant! How do you ever come up with this???

      ReplyDelete