Good morning! It's Friday... and you know what that means! Today we officially start our celebration of the humble act of repair. To understand why an entire day of the week is now dedicated to fixing things read this first post. Many of you already wield a hammer with confidence, others find that a needle and thread are your repair tools of choice. Wonderful. All skill levels are welcome here. And I'm terribly sorry if you've come thinking that this would be the Maya fix-it show, filled with ME telling YOU how to to transform your home. I'm not that handy... yet! I plan on learning new tricks with and from all of you. Sometimes, I'll share my fix, other times I'll feature one of your fixes. Let's get warmed up with a project I completed over the week. If you see how I could have done it differently, by all means jump in with a suggestion. Then we'll get to the fun part: your F.I.F's in the comment section!
The Bottomless Drawer
I tackled the task of fixing a broken drawer under my son's captain bed. Glamorous first project. Nope, but so satisfying because it was on my list for an embarrassingly long time! Background: My grandfather built his own house and all the furniture in it. He built all of my beds growing up... and they all had built in drawers underneath. Such an efficient use of space! I certainly didn't know how to build a bed with drawers for my son, so we bought one when he turned three (didn't sleep in it for years,but that's another story). It was a good bed, but he had the habit of leaving the drawers open. Last year, we discovered that the drawer by his head was jammed shut.After careful examination (and a confession) we found that he had stepped into it one morning and cracked through the bottom board. The only way to open the drawer ever again was to rip out the base.
The drawer gathered dust against the wall and a pit of library books filled up in the hole under the bed! (Yes, over due fines increased.)
- The original bottom piece was so surprisingly thin and flimsy. I was shocked how long it had lasted. My grandfather would have been appalled by the shoddy use of materials. I took it to Lowe's for a replacement piece. Because of the grooves that it had to slide into, it needed to be very thin and yet still strong. Only one option available: super thin masonite, so I had it cut to size. Do you know that most places will cut your wood to your specifications? So nice to eliminate one step from a project.
- I slid the piece into the drawer and staple gunned the back rim to keep it in place. The original had been stapled there too, so I just followed suit. This was a first mistake, but I didn't know it yet.
- The next day, the drawer was jammed again... the new piece had fallen out from the weight of my son's clothes.
- The staples had pulled out, I should had used longer ones. The drawer sat empty and bottomless in his room again!
- Undaunted, I decided to use very thin, but long nails and my favorite glue: Gorilla Glue.
- It worked! It feels totally sturdy. My son has his drawer back. Library books can't hide any longer!
Now, let's go see what you've all been up to! Please share your: thoughts, repairs, favorite tools, or handy fix-it tips in the comment section. If you have a blog, I encourage you to post about it and share your link. Some of you already left your links in comments throughout the week, you may want to add them to today's post to make sure you get the visitor's you deserve!
p.s. Don't be shy, we're doing this together.
Resources you may find interesting:
When you get past the flashy homepage, there's lots of great stuff here.
Have a great weekend and be sure to stop back for a wonderful give-away!