I combined some of my favorite ingredients for this burlap ring, all of which came from my scrap basket and recycling bin. Very festive for such humble materials!
- toilet paper tube
- scraps of loose weave fabric (burlap is perfect) cut into short strips and one larger piece for the roll
- selvedge from a compatible fabric (linen)cut into smaller strips
- linen covered button(button kits available at sewing shops or online)
- alphabet stamps and stamp pad
- Mod Podge
- needle and thread
- Burlap blossom- first loop: fold strip of burlap and secure ends with a stitch.
- Repeat first step until you've added all of your loops of burlap. Stitch each consecutive one to the next.
- Continue with smaller loops of selvedge.
- Cover a shank button with a piece of linen (kits available at most sewing shops).
- Stamp with initial.
- Stitch button securely to the center of the blossom.
- Cut a tp roll into thirds.
- Paint a section of roll with Mod Podge.
- Attach a piece of burlap to the roll.
If you're really opposed to needle and thread, I'm sure you could get away with glue gunning each stitch step. Don't you think a little burlap blossom would make a fabulous present topper, too?! There are so many ways to customize these... the basic ingredients are a tube and some form of ID: an initial, number, symbol. Make these in your favorite style, and your holiday table will feel complete and personal. I've got another very different version coming up!