Wednesday, January 16, 2013

the answer

 You know those days when everything and everyone is a little off?  We had one over the weekend. It happens to all of us, right? It's these moments when I tell my kids to throw on their boots because we're heading outside. Nature is the trick... you know this, I'm sure. Fresh air, earth beneath our feet, wide vistas, small details... they bring us back into our bodies and still the noise in our heads. And for my little crew... it inspires harmony.  I often seek out water. It soothes me. I know it has the same effect  on my children. When I was young, there was the ocean. Now, there is the lake.



At home there are baskets of stones and jars of glass from previous lake adventures, but we stuff our pockets anyway. These new treasures are freshly infused with the energy of the lake and this moment. Who wouldn't want to hold onto that? And as I sit here in the early hours of the morning, sipping tea and writing to you, I am grateful for every bit we gathered. Snow came silently in the night, and who knows how long it will be before we see the shore again. I wish you all a peaceful day... and if something or someone feels a bit off, don't hesitate to throw on your boots. With or without snow- outside is always the answer.
*****


Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Love going to the shore - in any season! It does have the ability to make things better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have found such wonderful treasures. Yes, nature is such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wise mama :) I love the treasures you all collected ... every year when we travel to the beach, my husband admonishes me not to bring home MORE rocks and every year my girl and I secret our stash of smoothed ocean stones in suitcase pockets, sneaking them out to bedside tables ... husband always scratching his head as to HOW more stones are in the house?

    Yes, when life gets "heavy", water and air and space balance things beautifully. I wish I could slip out the door with you all (my stone collection needs replenishing ...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a fascinating article right now in the Pacific Standard about just how valuable time in nature can be for one's creativity and for young people's social skills and sense of self. I found it via The Millions where they suggested how important a walk in the woods can be for one's writing. http://www.psmag.com/environment/put-down-the-ipad-lace-up-the-hiking-boots-51031/ Your mama instincts are of course right on target, but still worth a read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really great article, Liz! Thank you . I just put it up in my sidebar for others to ponder.

      Delete
    2. Great! Happy to contribute.

      Delete
    3. Fascinating article! Thanks for passing it on, Liz!

      Delete
  5. Love heading to the beach any chance we get! It always is balm for my soul & I think my kids as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am with you... outside is always the best remedy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will check out the article Liz mentioned. Water and nature in general do soothe my soul too. Such wonderful treasures you collected!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely.

    (one can never collect too many stones. it is a fact.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heartily agree with you. I love your lake treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We find ourselves doing the same exact thing when we need a change of pace.
    It is incredibly rejuvenating and healing to be outside, no matter what the weather is like.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, your right. I need to remember that more often. Being outdoors is soothing, calming, and peaceful. Thanks for reminding us. Next time we feel in a rut in this house of ours, we will step outdoors & enjoy nature. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Select the floral way of gifting that this gift zone could give you. Turn the eve filled with floral specialties, and let www.rightflorist.in/Delhi/Delhi_Florist.asp shape up your emotions in a charming way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a beautiful lake, Maya. I live in NY too, Hudson River valley, and I visit the river all the time. It truly restores my soul. I especially love to be there when a thunderstorm is approaching, all the wind gusts and waves...

    Such a lovely post, (they all are!) I know your visit to the lake set you all right on course for the days ahead!

    Peace to you all...

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a lovely story shared, maya. like you, i feel the healing powers of being in nature. and like you and your kiddos, we've quite the collection of treasures plucked ;)

    ReplyDelete