Tuesday, January 15, 2013

peanut butter chocolate chip cookies


One of the things I've enjoyed about being gluten-free is baking cookies for my children and knowing that I can't eat them. It's been a super way to tame my sweet tooth. So why did I have to learn about this easy peanut butter cookie? No flour! Another gluten free mom shared how-to in passing the other day- I didn't even need to write it down. So easy it was dangerous. Turns out I was one of the last ones on the planet to find out about flourless peanut butter cookies. Are you in the dark, too? There are millions of recipes online with endless variations- some with baking powder or vanilla, others with mixtures of this sugar and that... here's the basic version that we're delighted with:

peanut butter chocolate chip cookies GF

Ingredients:

1 cup peanut butter
3/4 cups cane sugar
1 egg
handful of mini chocolate chips

Make:

Mix everything in a bowl. 
Roll dough into one inch balls.
Flatten on cookie sheet with a fork.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until they look like the picture.

Take them out before they get too dark. You won't think that they're done, but as they cool they firm up to perfection. 

 If I need a cookie fix, now I know the solution is always in my pantry. Not sure that's a good thing!
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I love those cookies, especially because they're quick and easy. I didn't know you were gf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a cookie girl, too. I've been gluten free for almost 2 years. It transformed my life.

      Delete
  2. Oh Maya. Here I am trying to think about getting back into healthy eating and there you are making fall off the wagon before I've even got on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Debbie... I know my timing wasn't ideal... but I didn't want to eat my cookies alone! A couple now and then aren't so bad, but let's promise to not make them a habit, ok? ;)

      Delete
  3. Yes exactly what Debbie just said haha.
    Val
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry val... see what I said to Debbie above!

      Delete
  4. These cookies are so yummy! My aunt, cousin, neighbors are GF as well as my love and his brothers. We've made these a lot. Finding out you are GF too makes me love you and your blog even more...I have so many in my life who are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maya. I hear you about the cookies. Can you believe I have deliberately tossed in a handful of wheat flour to some sweet treat I was making, just so that I wouldn't devour it before the kids got home from school? Yeah, let's not get into that.
    I am commenting to tell you about a recipe that Rachel at Clean posted a while ago. I just made it yesterday and I love it. Just as peanut-buttery as the cookies above, but sweetened with honey so just a teensy bit healthier too. Here's the link http://lusaorganics.typepad.com/clean/2011/08/sometimes-you-make-brownies-at-bedtime.html. Just in case you want to try them out!
    Thanks for doing what you do. You inspire me and you make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks at the cookie jar..oh no..looks at screen..oh yes! XD Scavenging the shelf for some ingredients now. Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound yummy. Unfortunately with two little ones allergic to peanuts (one severely) there's no way I'll be trying these. Enjoy your occasional ;) indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Maya,
    I tried so hard NOT to print out this recipe but my willpower isn't cooperating these days!
    xoxo
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maya, thanks for posting this yummy cookie recipe! My husband is GF free and he loved it. I didn't have to change anything. I just use cheap trader joe's peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete