Tuesday, January 22, 2013

feather

My world seems shaped by symbols and signposts. Even when I'm not looking for them. Yesterday when I painted with my daughter, I chose a chicken feather as my subject. Hey, I love feathers and it was on the window sill. I didn't attach deep meaning to it. And yet, as the day unfolded- I realized that there are no coincidences in my life- synchronicity is always at play to hit me over the head with messages of truth.
You see, later on I looked out and saw our huddled flock. Snow began only after they had roamed quite far from their home. What to do? Trapped by a frozen white sea, they looked dazed and confused. The thought of crossing that expanse was enough to stop them in their tracks. Can't blame them. I knew there was only one solution. A rescue was in order. If I took one hen, I could show them the way... trailblazing chicken style. 
Chicken rescuer!

And it was in that moment of helping them through their challenge that I realized something BIG. I've been frozen, myself. Trapped. Marooned. I know I often sound brave. Sometimes I am. But more often than not, I'm quite vulnerable and wonder how to get across the giant stretch of icy landscape between today and the future. I dream of flying. Only I'll need wings for that. Perhaps one feather at a time, I can grow my own wings. But until then, I need to learn to rescue myself. If hope is my word for the year, then a feather is most definitely my symbol for hope.


Pin It

14 comments:

  1. "Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul . . . " I'm sure you know that quote by Emily Dickinson. I am relatively new to your blog although I have been making your fabric buckets for well over a year. I love your honesty and your vulnerability. Yes, I think it is just setting off over the wide expanse, trusting you'll get to the other side . . . something I needed to hear today too. Sending you love, hope and buckets of feathers.
    Best,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sheila- I love that poem. It's taped to the wall above my bed. And now I realize just how important it is to have an image to hold onto when I get lost. That bucket of feathers you offered is a beautiful visual, too. Thank you. I'm sending your way, too!

      Delete
  2. Your thoughtfulness and honesty is inspiring. I think you're well on your way to a year full of hope if you've realized so much already. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya, I wonder if you have been trapped, or if there is an element of strength gathering and preparing for your journey. Sometimes we do need to take the plunge across a difficult terrain in our life. But sometimes, it is best to plot out the course carefully and make sure we have everything we need before we set out. Trust in yourself to do what is best for you and your family, even if your actions aren't what you think they should be.
    Laura J. (Because I come up as anonymous despite my efforts!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, you cannot even begin to know how deeply your words have moved and fortified me. Your last sentence, in particular, will be held close to my heart as I plot my course. thank you.

      Delete
  4. Beautifully wise words that I needed to hear just at the moment I read them. Thank you so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feathers also an Angel's calling card divine intervention indeed and also a sign of things to come. Trust your inner voice it will never let you down or do you wrong.

    Take care and blessings

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are an inspiration. I have look forward to reading your words of wisdom, your courage, your strength and your honesty. I hope with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I will adopt "hope" as my word of the year. Thank you! Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am (timidly) adopting "fearless" as my inspiration word for the year. I appreciate the vulnerability you feel and I love the imagery of the feather. I love to watch birds fly and I'm always amazed as they instinctively leap off of a branch never seeming to worry if their wings will work and give them the lift they need. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and interpratations about your world.

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful my friend. Have you heard any of the Iconic Self cds by Jen Lee and Phyllis Mathis? There is a great story about a struggle with a work colleague who was "like a lion" and other woman described herself as a chicken. Her yoga teacher told her: "Even a chicken fights for her baby chicks. You must Fight Like a Chicken!" I see you mama hen, bravely stepping forward for yourself, your chicks, and your hens. LOVE the photo of you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You continue to amaze me with your ability to spot the meaning in the small things that indeed all happen to guide us along. It's so easy to miss these hidden symbols with the bustle of day to day.
    On a funny and more obvious note we had a similar experience with duck(?) feathers. On the weekend my husband was debating on buying a down jacket for the winter. We left the store without it. The next day a colleague at work handed him a gift card that he wasn't going to use to the very store that the jacket was at. We're going back to get the jacket! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sooner than you think you will have every single feather needed for your wings and you will be flying far and beyond you ever expected. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete