Thursday, September 6, 2012

nest building

I greet new transitions for my little family with the utmost of sensitivity. Children like things to stay the same... stability, familiarity, maintaining what they know and trust. Against all matter of odds, I'm doing all that I can to provide this. Yesterday I held my breath all day. On the first day back to school, my daughter eased into a brand new classroom and made a new friend.  And that first born of mine actually enjoyed the shift into high school! Sweet relief for all of us. Upon coming home, they both went off in separate directions to quietly regroup and process. My son now has a "teen lounge" in his bed room. My daughter's art table was switched out for her brothers outgrown desk- homework and art space in one! For several weeks I've been giving corners of our home little facelifts, in anticipation of this new chapter in their lives. With some help from my mom I learned how to really... I mean REALLY use a drill!

Now, that's a handy grandma!


 I've painted shelves and desks, carried (with lots of help from son, who's stronger than me these days!) those said desks, shelves and even a couch up and down stairs. I mostly did a lot of reinventing of the furniture we already have. I've been feathering our nest with what's on hand, a little ingenuity... and one very exciting trip to the lumber yard. Here's a peek at our our new shelf... and my first dabble into carpentry. 


I painted it white, and I'll share more once we've filled it and I can take a decent photo. Feeling proud!
  IMG_3578

Pin It

25 comments:

  1. You should feel proud! It's AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, you know just how long it took for me to handle that drill!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful! My mom was also one to say that all women should know how to wield a drill, a hammer, and a chain saw. The chain saw has yet to happen for me but I understood her intention. To remember our own power as women is precious. To realize we can feather the nest, be creative, lovingly tend to children and use power tools is perfection. So proud of you too Maya! Look forward to seeing the new bookcase in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What beautiful thoughts, kellen! chainsaws scare me too... but I may just have to conquer that fear living out here in the woods! I love you!

      Delete
  3. I love hearing that you learned carpentry from your mom. =) That's how I learned, too! The shelves are amazing. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks fantastic! I plan on doing a small cubby shelf for my fabric after I finish up a folding laundry hamper (my first sewing/building combo project) and I'm a bit nervous about it, but I suppose if you can do so beautifully on your first carpentry attempt, I can tackle something much smaller!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should be feeling proud! What a great project (and a great example to your kiddos that Mom can do it!) Please tell me it's cool up there? (We're heading for Vermont in the morning and I'm so hoping for fall weather!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lovely Diane! Your sheep would not be happy here either... hot still.

      Delete
  6. Looks to me like you have many reasons to feel pride!
    Well done {on it all!}
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wahoo you! Good going. I have some trepidation for power tools, time for me to get over it....too. Love what you made. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine you having trepidation with anything, Corrine! I see power tools in your future.xxx

      Delete
  8. YES Ms. Maya! It is awesome! I am always happy to see another ms. taking on the power tools and coming out triumphantly on the other side!

    And I don't know about you, but Fall is always the time I seem to get my biggest push of creativity and get-it-done-ness. I guess that old "back to school" feeling never quite goes away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I apologize in advance if my very intentional word choice doesn't jibe with the dulcet tones of your wonderful blog, but I just have to say.

    That is truly *badass*.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should be very proud of yourself! You made a truly lovely shelf!! When I left home my mom made sure I knew how to use a hammer, change a tire, and cook a couple of meals plus desserts (so I had some variety in my life.) I have to laugh because when I got married I was the one who came into the marriage with tools and a few pots & pans (we both lived in military dorms... so no furniture & very little stuff)

    Once again, you did really good! I can only imagine how incredibly talented you will become at woodworking as you get more practice! Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great(!!!!)bookcase! I am green! Wonder what will be next... make sure to pass on your new skills.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great bookcase, I love the construction. I'm trying to conquer my fear of drills myself, even just to hang up a few pictures on our very naked walls...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're amazing.
    margie

    ReplyDelete
  14. you did a great job! i'd like to make something with a power drill too! where did you do the work? did you cut the wood yourself?
    megan

    ReplyDelete
  15. you're an inspiration!! you rock, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice work! I love it! I must admit...Having a carpenter for a husband has left me with little motivation to take on such a project. I find myself thinking, "Why struggle to create something that would be so easy for him to crank out in no time?". I need to get past that!

    Jackie
    Luna Grey Fiber Arts

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is one incredible piece of work. so very inspired!

    ReplyDelete