So whatever your special hot beverage is ((herbal)tea, chai, cappucino), pour a mug this afternoon and know that I will be raising mine to yours with a big "SALUD!"
What's the little coaster under that dotty mug? Just a quick last minute Valentine's Day present for someone special. This time of year begs for all things sweet, red, and doilified. I've been wanting to try stenciling with paper doilies for a while, and this seemed like a good project to test it out. Fast, fun and easy... some of my 3 faves! The linen is an especially nice thick weave from a pair of trousers and the bottom layer is red wool suiting*.
- 4" paper doily
- scotch tape
- textile paint
- foam brush
- 5"x5" square of linen
- " " wool
- " " batting
- pinking shears
- freezer paper
- Sandwich batting between wool and linen. Sew around the entire perimeter using the edge of the foot as a guide for seam allowance. Trim off excess with pinking shears.
- Tape doily to center of the linen side. Cut out a circle from freezer paper slightly larger than the edge of the doily. Center it around the doily evenly and iron in place.
- Apply paint with a gentle touch. Allow to dry.
- Peel off freezer paper and then work on the doily. It may have pieces that stick and uneven bits of paint. Use a toothpick to help take off tiny pieces of paper and to add extra dabs of paint where needed.
- It will not be perfect... which we all know makes it just right. Place a cloth over the paint and heat set it with a hot iron.
- Pour your hot mug of cheer and set it on your coaster.
Have a great weekend and stop back on Monday for the beginning of a week long "LOVE giveaway".
*My wool and linen projects use found materials: linen clothing, wool suiting and blankets. They are easily rescued from thrift stores and tag sales.