I have something quite special and very beautiful to share with you today... here is the first issue of a brand new 60-page bi-annual magazine that publishes stories and artworks by children and adult artists. Introducing: BIG Kids Magazine!
It's created by two lovely Australian mothers who were looking for a quality publication that featured the arts for their children. I've been watching it evolve over the year on their website, and couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy to open the pages and see what was inside. It's quite striking, with heavy weight paper that makes it feel more like a book... nice.
Here are some of ways that they told me Big Kids Magazine is unique:
• The Senior Editor is 8 – E-I-G-H-T! – years young.
• The two founders and creative directors, Lilly Blue and Jo Pollitt, have not seen each other for 12 years. Both are practicing artists – Jo is a dancer; Lilly a visual artist – and stay-at-home mums with bubs; they’re also educators and now they’re publishers.
• They’ve given birth to Big Kids Magazine entirely over the ether; Lilly lives in Sydney; Jo in Perth.
• It has taken almost one year of toil and countless hours of inspiration and perspiration to produce the first edition.
• It can be posted to anywhere in the world, transplanting art from gallery walls onto playroom floors.
• Each issue features a FREE artist print.
• For every copy sold, BIG gives away one copy to children who might not otherwise be able to access them.
• Big Kids Magazine is a creative arts magazine for kids (and big kids), which publishes stories and interviews of contemporary artists (dancers, painters, singers, sculptors, actors, film-makers, writers) with stories and interviews of kids.
• It presents the artworks of children and artists side by side.
• BIG is an acronym which stands for Bravery, Imagination, Generosity.
I loved this quote of Jo and Lilly's:
“We are passionate about the rigour of quality art practice as neither elitist nor hobby but as an everyday way of engaging, viewing and responding to the world.”
Yes, I say... Yes!
All the information for subscribing or ordering a copy is right here. It's a very special site filled with Lilly's incredible illustrations and well worth exploring... my daughter loves it!
This beautiful copy of Big is for one of you!
How have you been touched by an act of Bravery, Imagination, or Generosity?
Congratulations gos out to:
What an inspired idea for a magazine, my daughter and I would love to pour over this whole issue! Thanks for the chance!
***************~I was happy to read how much many of you appreciated the focus and beauty of this publication. The expense to the US may be prohibitive to many, but their website is a wonderful gift in itself!