Wednesday, July 20, 2011

birth day

42
Hello! How are you? I bet you've been busy... eating up life, working hard, finding moments for play, wondering where the time goes. Me too. Each day turned to night in the blink of an eye since we last visited together. On Friday, I lovingly handed over the very last of the projects of my upcoming book (April 2012). The surreal feeling of having completed this chunk of such a huge endeavor has not left me since I pushed the send button. It only intensified as we (my family and photographer) wrapped up the very final photo shoot on Sunday and Monday. I know the details have been so vague, but one day soon I'll be able to share it all with you, and in preparation for that moment I've documented the back story quite thoroughly. The amount of time, energy and love that is going into this project has often overwhelmed me. And there's still more.  I will be writing and editing during the rest of the summer, but yesterday I stood still!  I breathed. I slowed. I looked at my family deeply. I indulged in decadent food. I said yes to pampering with a massage and facial.  I went to sleep early and even slept in (a tiny bit!). Yesterday I turned 42. Reflection is a natural part of every birthday, but in the midst of so much business, this sudden halt caused me to peer even deeper. When I look back on the chapters of my life leading up to now, they read like a worn and familiar book. Some pages are ripped and tattered, others dog eared to return to frequently for laughter, inspiration or a reminder to not repeat that cycle again.
3 generations
Our stories shape us as much as we shape them. Stepping into this new year, I feel a strength I've never known before. Wise women, who have walked this path before me, have whispered of the power that comes only with years. They've spoken of the permission to step into yourself fully and not waste a single minute on trying to be any. one. else. An invitation is offered... to give birth to one's self.

The calendar already has some pretty phenomenal dates penciled in for this new year. Oh yes! I intend to greet them with the very best of me, and look forward to sharing them with all of you! Here's to a new year. A new chapter!
light
all photos courtesy of my iphone, yet again!
Pin It

33 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Maya! Hooray for you and hooray for a great year ahead. In our house we try to celebrate birthday months to keep the fun going a little longer... Live it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday Maya! I can't wait to see what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Burzday-Maya. Wishing you a great inspiring new birthday-year. The picture's are like magic. Greetings with heart&soul from Sil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my birthday was yesterday too! happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Maya, hope it's a wonderful and inspiring year. Can't wait to see this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Maya, and here's to one more year of your joyous creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Maya -- 42 will be FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Maya, You are just blossoming. Can't wait to see you in your class at Squam. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday, Maya! It sounds like you had a truly wonderful day! May the coming year be one filled with wonders and joyous memories!!

    Looking forward to your book.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy birthday, Maya! and congratulations!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday and congratulations once again! Your words and work have been so inspirational for me I am SOOOOOlooking forward to adding your book to our bookshelf!
    Thank you for putting so much of you into this piece, I'm sure it will be your best work yet!
    Hugs,
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! And congratulations on all you accomplished...and all that is to come!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! I was 44 on Monday (the 18th). =) July is a fab month, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday Maya! Beautiful moving photo of 3 generations, what is there better than having a great connection to both your parents and your children? I wish you all the very best. And I will order your book right away once it's available. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of happy birthday wishes your way! I can't wait to see what you are up to this next year:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. happy birthday to a very special lady ~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday you beautiful woman! What an inspired way to greet this next year of your life. Looking forward to hearing all about it, and am still so excited about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday! Stopping a while is so good for the soul. Looking forward to when you tell us more about the book! :)
    S&R

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoy each and every birthday. It is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So so good, Maya! Congratulations, and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all these photos of you Maya. SO happy to hear you had a relaxing birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birth Day (belated!)... I love the three-generations of women photo. Truly special.

    ReplyDelete
  23. blessings for a beautiful and creative and magical forty-second year. peace and love.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How glorious to arrive at this birthday alongside the realization of your creative dream..... I remember back when you shared a post describing your dreams for the future.... It's an honor to be here and see a part of that happen for you! Happy Birthday and may each ensuing year bring more fullfilment and wonder to your life....

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are a beautiful Lightbringer, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A very happy belated birthday Maya!
    What a lovely post.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey, you are three days older than me! Happy birthday, Moon-landing sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm late, I know, but I hope you had a wonderful birthday.
    You really can say so much with three beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Belated Birthday. I am excited to see the work you have been doing come to light in a book soon. Very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Far too belatedly a birthday greeting, but many happy returns, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete