his broken drawer to be fixed. Linens lived in limbo in several laundry baskets. You can imagine how neatly folded our towels remained. NOT! The fix: alcoves lend themselves beautifully to built in shelves. F.I.F. (fix-it Friday) gave me the nudge to finally get it done. I took measurements of how deep and long the shelves could be. Then I determined how many would fit nicely: 5. We didn't have enough scrap wood in the garage, so we all went on an expedition to Lowe's. With the help of a very enthusiastic employee, we got our supplies and had them cut to my specifications.The plan was to rest each shelf on top of thick wooden shims.
So easy. I'm not a carpenter, but I'm fairly comfortable with a drill. When we got home, the reality of our slanty, tilty old farmhouse taught me that I should have measured each spot, because nothing is even in our house. While I got frustrated with our four out of five boards that were too big, my husband volunteered to cut them to size and finish it up.
Just a little credit for my sweet, silent (and so handsome)partner... he did an amazing job!
I will finish it off with my specialty: stenciled curtains.
A suspension rod also is quite happy in an alcove. Don't worry, I'll straighten it out when I hang them. And yes, that is original wallpaper, with a little peeling that will be hidden by towels and said curtain.
Not sure how old it is, but this part of our house dates to 1850. I can't bare to take it down.
Can't wait to hear what little mends and handy repairs you've been up to!
p.s. there have been quite a few requests for a(n) F.I.F button... you know, to put up in your own sidebar. I 've never done a button before, but gave it a try...let me know if it works and please link back to maya*made, thanks friends!