Tuesday, April 20, 2010

diy: the hanger hook

 I love giving everyday objects new purpose. I get especially excited if those said objects are being overlooked... or worse, headed for the garbage! Wire hangers seem to multiply in closets.I think they're a bit ugly compared to vintage wooden ones, but I'm totally enamored with their utility and ability to be manipulated. I made some into hooks for my work space last year and have found them to be invaluable. It seemed so obvious that I didn't even think about sharing them. Recently a friend came over and reminded me how we all love the obvious being pointed out. So, here's a little trick for creating some handy hooks, some stupendous storage, and dandy dispensers out of the obvious!
The Hanger Hook
 Start with a common wire hanger... bet it's sitting in your closet right now. Go grab a couple, this is fun...
 Follow the steps pictured. Use your hands to manipulate the wire. I know how strong you are! You can do it. Work gloves might make it more comfortable, but aren't necessary.
The final step, below, requires turning the top hanging  hook in the opposite direction. Use pliers if you are struggling.
 Now you have a great new way to hang stuff. I've hung baskets, string, oversized spools, large bags filled with buckets: these hooks are tough and useful. They work beautifully on peg board, as seen in the first photo... just the perfect size for the little holes! They hang over shelves and dowels... here they are in action:
 They work really well with my ikea shelving that has adjustable mounting holes... and play double duty to keep the curtains closed (to hide those stacks of sacks) and keep some twill tape on hand:
So there you have it. I'm sure you can come up with a dozen other places to hang these. Do let me know, I love your ideas!
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I love your idea, here is mine:
    http://matjesundmeise.blogspot.com/2009/10/ba-spa-ufo-fo-15-16.html

    Hello from Germany! :-)
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I unfortunately have no wire hangers in my closet (Mommy dearest gave me a fear of them), but now I'm on a mission to go get a whole slew of them! There are sooo many things I could use this idea for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! I'm going to send my readers over to see it! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can always count on you to take something that seems like junk (I've never liked the plain metal hangers but can't bear to toss them) and turn it into something useful. Thanks for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever!

    First time visitor from Sweden, you have a really nice blog and I´ll be back.

    The doll in your other post was too sweet by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great practical idea! blogland is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great idea! I have made children's hangers out of them as shown here. It would be great to see more ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my hubby made something similar a few years ago when he wanted to hang a large framed photo in his cubicle. His coworkers saw this and brought him more hangers to make some for them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your ongoing creativity. How do you keep coming up with more and more all the time? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Speaking of sharing the obvious - I have those same Ikea wooden shelves and it never occurred to me to just hang a pretty curtain to cover their contents. Thank you. I love sharing.

    I was feeling all grouchy about the space around me and now it feels possible for it to be pretty and orderly.

    ReplyDelete