Tuesday, July 7, 2009

how to: simple summer pavilion

This post could have been titled "how to: make your children feel like royalty" or even "how to: keep kids happy while tending to the mountains of laundry (upon returning from vacation)". Our first day back home is always a lazy(grumpy) day for kids and a catch up day for me. Our new summer pavilion was the perfect diversion yesterday, and I couldn't wait to share it with you. Both my kids read, snacked, chatted, dreamed and lunched under their new canopy. We all enjoyed the process of creating the structure together, and then I was able to tackle the unpacking and cleaning with minimal interruptions. I'm often playing the referee to little spats, but somehow the magic of a mini palace put my two into wonderful and loving moods. Now, don't you want to make one too!?

Materials:
-rope or twine
-old sheet
-garden stakes or bamboo poles
-rubber bands
-blankets/cushions
-decorations

Make:
  1. Tie rope between two trees at the height you'd like the center of your pavilion to be.
  2. Select four stakes
  3. Hammer each stake at a corner... several feet from the rope.
  4. Drape sheet over rope and stakes. Cinch fabric to stake with rubber bands.
  5. Decorate! We used fresh flowers and a newspaper bunting.

Make a floor out of oilcloth or an old blanket and add lots of cushions. Be sure to bring lovely meals on trays and have lots of books on hand. (cukes and snap peas courtesy of our garden!)

If it gets too sunny or they want it to be a littler more tucked away, drape another sheet or extra yardage (of fabric) over the first sheet.

This is the stuff of memories!

Pin It

26 comments:

  1. Super gorgeous! Can we come and play too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome fort for sure!! I live in the desert- too hot, even in the shade, but maybe come fall with the cooler temps this could be a super fun project and place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the images. It looks almost exactly how we put up our tarp over the eating area when we camp. Is there room for one more in the royal tent?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my...you are just too amazing! I want one of these for me too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely place to make memories indeed. Blessed children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're such a great mommy Maya! I'd love to hang out there and read my book! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cute maya! love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We need to try this! A peacekeeping canopy, did you say? Absolutely beautiful and enchanting...and even better if it causes silly tiffs to disappear magically for a while. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a summer haven. What fun Maya. I look forward to making one with my children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea. Cute and simple. My little ones would love this. Thanks for posting it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is soooo fabulous! I want to live at your house. In that pavilion of course!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the loveliest thing! I love your banner too - the colors are gorgeous. Everyone looks very contented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the sweetest!! What a magical way to enjoy the summer out of the heat... I know of two little fairies who would love to join them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How grand is that? I am sure your children are feeling like royalty. My best, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  15. I linked you in my post today (new at blogging)...your flannel receiving blanket post inspired me to try it. Your instructions were great and I'm loving the end result. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cuuuuuute! I want to make one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. way too cute! going to be rigging that up for sure! just let some of our rain dry up first!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! We live in Yuma, AZ where it is between 100-115 all summer. I guess we could have a fun night playtime with lanterns and books and snacks! I remember making forts with my brother when we were young--had a front porch that we hung sheets from. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so whimsical and fun! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like your blog, and have been following for a while... now I need your/your readers help...
    http://burkeshires.blogspot.com/2009/07/shirring-help-my-first-givaway.html
    Thanks sooooo much for all the cool things you put out in the blogosphere!
    Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore this idea! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. How beautiful! I'm thinking of draping a sheet over the clotheslines and taking it from there. I always look for the lazy option that's far less work for mama but still magical. It's all I can keep up with. ;) Looks like you have very lucky kids!
    ~Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the lovely inspiration. I used your idea today for my daughter's 10th birthday. She had a Harry Potter theme birthday party, and my oldest had her "wand shop" under this sweet canopy with the newspaper swags and all. It was a huge hit with all the guests!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just browsing through your site and found this interesting. My mother (then myself) used to drape a sheet or blanket over the clothesline...instant tent...held down with brickes or large stones. We had many a fun time under the makeshift hideaways, as did my own children. Thanks for the memories:)

    ReplyDelete