Materials:-1/2 yard of soft cotton in a print that will make the recipient smile and feel loved
-batting/ecofill (anything that stays soft with repeated washings)
-dried lavender if you are making a sachet
all seams are 1/4" unless otherwise stated
-handle: 6" x 11"
-pocket: 6" x 12"
- Fold rectangle in half and pressing with an iron to make a crease.
- Open and fold each side just to that crease line.
- Fold in half and press with an iron again.
- Topstitch along the edge of each side (lengthwise).
- Fold in half (now rectangle becomes a 6 x 6 square) right side to right side.
- Stitch around all three open sides, leaving a few inches open on the bottom for turning.
- Clip excess fabric on corners and turn fabric so right sides are exposed. Poke corners into shape with a chopstick or pencil eraser.
- Top stitch folded side 1/2 an inch from the edge. This will be the top open side of the pocket.
- Fold pillow rectangle in half. The top will be the open side. The fold will be the bottom of the pillow.
- Pin pocket to the lower middle portion of the pillow. Tuck in the opening from where you turned the pocket and pin also. Stitch pocket in place.
- Fold material right side to right side and stitch following the diagram.
(note: the picture shows the right side of the fabric... do the opposite) Begin sewing each side 2 inches toward the center of the pillow top and then rotate to go down the sides.
- Clip excess fabric at corners and turn right side out. Poke out corners. Topstitch the bottom edge... all along the fold. This will give your pillow better form.
- Stuff you pillow, taking care to fill each corner. Don't over stuff or you will have a hard time inserting your handle.
- Pin handle in place. Check finished project photos for placement, making sure it's even. Pin the rest of the opening closed, as well.
- Edge stitch the entire top. I went over this stitching with a decorative stitch, but it's not necessary.
- Fill the pocket with a little doll/animal or make a simple lavender sachet to ensure restful nights. My sachet was made from two 6"x4" rectangles stitched together and filled with dried lavender.
Today's pillow is made from a soft quilter's cotton in an Amy Butler print from her Belle line. I had just a enough left over from this duvet cover. The sweet face peeking out of the pocket comes from this set I made over the winter. It belongs to my daughter, but I'm working on another soft lavender friend to fit in the pocket...
and then I will be ready to offer this pillow as a give-away on Monday!