Monday, May 25, 2009

garden wish flags

It was a full weekend with perfect weather and many hours in the garden. Memorial Day Weekend is the traditional time to get all of your plants and seeds in the ground in our region. It always seems like such a hustle, but somehow we manage each year. Our garden may not look like one of Martha's, but it feeds us all summer long and teaches our children where dinner comes from. I have learned a lot about gardening with little ones over the years and hope to jot down some tips soon. Today I want to share our latest addition to our vegetable patch: Wish Flags. I really wanted to create a new family tradition centered around our summer growing season. The nature swatches were still fresh in my mind...
So today we brought out the fabric markers and crayons. I cut up 8x10 pieces of cotton.

Together we talked about what our plants would need to thrive. Individually, and in collaboration, we created flags to hang on our garden fence that represented our hopes and wishes for our little seedlings.
There were lots of suns and raindrops... "good" garden insects and worms. Of course, a warning to all slugs had to be included. The conversation was fantastic as we sat at the picnic table all drawing together.

We've never had such an in depth discussion about plant life. I had to run and cut more fabric several times, because no one wanted to stop! After completion, I heat set each one with the iron... then zigzagged the rectangles to a long ribbon. I didn't worry about tidiness, just speed. The gardeners were waiting...

They raced down to the garden and we strung them up on the fence.

If you're planting this summer, I can't recommend this more! These flags are happy, thoughtful and represent our family beautifully.

Note: All of that time spent at our picnic benches drawing (on a Monday)...well, of course we had to do the family edition of Bench Monday! So much more fun together!
1... 2... 3... JUMP!
Have a great start to your week! Pin It

35 comments:

  1. Great idea with the garden prayer flag, Maya! BTW, *how* did you get a photo of your whole family jumping like that? Certainly there was a 5th person??! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the garden wish flags - they remind of the prayer flags in Tibet, where the wind spreads the good wishes around the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the flags & the photos of the making of the flags. It just looks like a perfect family day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Maya! These family photos of you all spending time together and working together makes me so happy to see. Again, I am touched by your family's way of making their own traditions, based on things that make life truly richer and your relations to one another deeper and fuller.

    And I am giggling a little about the "no slugs allowed" flag, hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. We'll definitely be adding this to our garden sometime soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacki- just the four of us and the camera with a self timer perched on a stool. There were MANY out-takes... and lots of hysterics!
    Michelle- these are very much in the tradition of Tibetan Prayer Flags.
    Thanks, friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely as usual! Especially that you did it all together and just had/found the time to hang out in the garden and have fun! Enjoy the Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those flags are wonderful! And I love the bench picture, you guys look like you ha dan awesome day =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another really great idea...and a wonderful photo, to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No slugs, understandable but Fern and I are so happy we didn't see a "no snails" sign. I have been observing my little friends very closely this spring and I think they are the best little mulchers around. My well trained little helpers only eat the dead leaves and fallen petals.
    I love your family version of bench monday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous, thoughtful project! I love the connections with and between family, nature, and creative energy. Thank you for another beautiful garland idea (for the outdoors too!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great project and it looks like everyone had fun participating! I love your bench jump shot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've just reminded me to pick up fabric crayons and markers! I love those flags...what a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic - I'm definitely doing something with fabric markers now. Crayons too? How does that work?

    ReplyDelete
  15. ZukZuk- fabric markers and crayons are available at all craft stores. Just draw directly onto fabric and then follow the directions for heat setting with an iron. For something where a more permanent print is desired (clothing, etc.)... crayola (fabric crayons) recommends drawing on paper and then transferring the design to the fabric. Because we were going for instant gratification and a banner aging with the elements, we drew directly on the fabric. We'll see how skipping a stage works as the summer progresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect post, Maya! You all look like you're having so much fun hanging around together crafting outside. What a perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need this for my garden, too. I love the "no slugs" - hope they listen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maya, I liked this post very much. The flags are fantastic, but the family time story was even better.
    And that place of yours..? Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful idea! We're coming up on our first year of marriage and are enjoying our first spring in our first house. We're not in a hurry to have a family, but as much as I enjoy doing projects with my hubby reading posts like this sure makes me look forward to having a family and sharing beautiful things with them, too. What a wonderful mom and role model you are!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi maya -

    what a great project for your garden! lately, i've been knee deep in experimenting with hand carving, which has caused me to want to stamp every little thing i see. currently, i've got my eye on stamping little tiny flags. your blog and projects are truly beautiful and lovely.

    emily

    ReplyDelete
  21. The flags are sweet. Looks like it was a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely idea! And the photo at the end... just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this looks so fantastic! Love it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. a friend forwarded me this, i love everything about it. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love the garden wish flags. what a fun idea.
    and i'd gladly read tips about gardening with little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your flags! Your family has such a green thumb, our flags would have to mention things like "survive without water" or "don't die too quickly".

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ours turned out great, come have a look. I hope it will become a tradition.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love this idea and posted a link to it here http://believingnature.wordpress.com/2009/06/16/garden-wish-flags/
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, Just seen this on crafty crow.
    Love this idea, thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi, I have made a link to your blog..

    http://twolittleseeds.blogspot.com/2010/05/garden-wish-flags.html

    Many thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Knew I wanted "prayer flags" for our porch this summer. Wish flags are just the thing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this!!! Totally going to steal the idea!!!

    www.kellyloves.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete