Monday, March 2, 2009

all in the details...

I got so absorbed in carving my new barn stamp, that I didn't have enough time to give you the rundown on my May classes at the barn. Little details tend to escape me at 2 in the morning... like where the classes are located: outside of Ithaca, New York. So here we go...

Both workshops begin at 10 am sharp. Please come 15-20 minutes early for organic coffee/tea, freshly baked muffins and a tour of the barn. We'll *learn* work* make* for two hours before we stop for a delicious vegetarian lunch. Our last hour will be spent completing our morning projects.

Meals and material fees are included. You may want to bring some of your own supplies, but I'll provide all of the basics and send out a list of suggested extras to all participants.

Anatomy of a Coffee Sack
will include a discussion and demonstration about the unique properties of burlap and tips on how to work with it. You'll each make several small and useful projects to take home, as well as your new skills for repurposing rescued sacks. I will provide each person with their own sack to dissect and reconstruct. A sturdy sewing machine is required.

Printing on Fabric will focus on one-of-a-kind stencils, but will also include some techniques for simple block printing. The emphasis of this class will be how to transform simple everyday objects into unique pieces of art to wear or use as home decor.

I'm so looking forward to meeting some new local friends and am thrilled at the distance some of you are considering traveling. If you are coming from out of town, I'm happy to help with lodging suggestions and directions to all of the natural beauty in the Finger Lakes Region... as well as some incredible antique and junk shops.

To all of you lovely friends across the continent or overseas... I wish this barn could grow wings! Now wouldn't that be a wonderful way to travel!? Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Too bad we are separated by so many time zones, otherwise I'd be one of the first ones to show up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to come, but it's a bit of a long way from France.
    I'm impressed you carved your barn stamp yourself, did it take you ages and what did you carve into.
    Take care.
    Nickyx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya, I am EXTREMELY envious of those who get to attend!!!!! Why don't live here in small corner, small town, small state? You're such an inspiration to me. I'll be featuring you and your wares in my blog now and again. (I'll give you a heads up first) Thanks for being so accessible and helpful to those of us far away! PJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your classes will fill up very soon especially now that they know a Maya*made lunch is involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, I know I won't be able to make it but it sounds like so much fun! I'd still love those hints on junk and antique stores for when we take the kids camping in Ithaca this summer. :) Good luck with your classes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I wish it could fly too! You could land in my back garden and I'd invite all my friends for a wonderful crafting/feasting weekend.
    Looking forward to hearing about your stamping adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh, i just realized that i DO live close!! well, a couple hours away. i'm up near canandaigua, ny... and i used to own one of those great antique shops you speak of. i'll have to check my calendar and see if i am free. i would love to see your mom's barn!

    ReplyDelete