Saturday, December 20, 2008

simple gifts #4

This is our huge Christmas tree in our front yard. It's the tallest Blue Spruce I've ever seen! It's my favorite spot for my ornament photo shoots. I spy a wreath in the snow!

I was snowed in with the children for the second time in a week! Loved it! I won't tell you how long we stayed in our pajamas... it was snowing too hard to go outside for most of the day. What to do? Perfect opportunity to make some more gifts. We made four different versions of a wreath ornament. Three of them are perfect for older children or with an adult's guidance. The fourth wreath, my four year old taught me how to make! None of these require fancy supplies or sewing skills and we recycled. Hope you have fun, we did!


#1: felty star wreath with buttons



need:
-tiny embroidery hoop (we used ones with a 3 inch diameter)
-pinking shears
-glue
-white (or color of your choice) felt or batting
-ribbon or baker's twine
-assorted buttons

make:
see photos from #2 for any clarification
- cut out leaf shapes on the fold of your fabric. I was planning on using felted sweater scraps, but then I saw all of the natural cotton batting left-overs from my buckets... they work just like felt... maybe better as far as glue is concerned!
- attach "leaves" by sandwiching the embroidery hoop in the middle of each one and adhering with glue
- attach a slightly larger leaf to cover the hoop adjustment screw
- tie a ribbon or twine around the top
- glue buttons randomly around your wreath

#2: felty star wreath with toadstools


need:
- tiny embroidery hoop (we used ones with a 3 inch diameter)
- pinking shears
- glue
- white (or color of your choice) felt or batting
- ribbon or baker's twine
- embellishments of your choosing: our toadstools came from Small Stump


make:
- cut out leaf shapes on the fold of your fabric. I was planning on using felted sweater scraps, but then I saw all of the natural cotton batting left-overs from my buckets... they work just like felt... maybe better as far as glue is concerned!


- attach "leaves" by sandwiching the embroidery hoop in the middle of each one and adhering with glue

- attach a slightly larger leaf to cover the hoop adjustment screw
- tie a ribbon or twine around the top
- have fun getting creative with embellishments

#3: rag wreath



need:
- scissors
- scraps of fabric in rectangular strips
- yogurt lid
- jute/ribbon - natural embellishments


make:
- cut out a circle from the center of lid
- tie fabric strips all around the lid, keeping knots on the outside
- trim fabric ends to desired length
- tie jute or ribbon around the top for hanging
- embellish with notions or bits from nature

#4: "let me show you how" wreath


"That's not how you make a wreath", my four year old told her ten year old brother and me. According to her, real wreaths are green and made from "wire" and cracker boxes. It took me a second to figure it out, but I had seen several children making these at her school.

need:
- cracker box (cereal boxes work fine, but my daughter insists on only cracker boxes)
- 4 or 5 green pipe cleaners/chenille stems and one red (I found wonderful cotton pipe cleaners at AC Moore a while back)
- scissors
- pencil


make:
- cut out 2-3 inch ring from a box
- wrap green pipe cleaners around ring
- finish off with the red one and make a loop for hanging and optional bow.


Hope you have fun making and celebrating this weekend!


Pin It

22 comments:

  1. All of your ornaments are just perfect! I just love the materials you used--I had never thought of using cotton batting as felt (it looks so organic and natural!!) or a yogurt lid to make a wee wreath like that. I love the natural colors of the linen that you used on the wreath, with the red ticking fabric as a nice contrast. I think we have a nice crafty weekend ahead of us to fill in some of the spare spots on our tree! With maybe some gingerbread people to fuel our efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maya !
    Oooh I love wreaths & these are simply lovely !! I love the rag one best but all the others are so beautiful as well ! Great idea for the batting, brilliant ! Omg, this tree is huuuuge ! It looks so nice dusted with snow ! I wish you all a great pre-Christmas weekend !! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I just had to laugh at the "That's not how you make a wreath" part.
    I really like how the rag wreath turned out. It's much better than what I imagined a rag wreath would look like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maya, If I did not have to go out yesterday I would still be in yesterday's pajamas!

    Very fun wreaths, I had planned on making a large one with scraps from all the sweaters I have upcycled into presents but have not had the time. Of course I was thinking a large one so this idea (the rag style)is perfect for me to still be able to play on a smaller scale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those look like fun!

    I've actually been planning on making a couple of wreath ornaments with my girlies. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, these are all so wonderful! I may just have to make these with the kids this weekend. Thanks so much for sharing! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a beautiful spruce!
    I loved being snowed in when we lived in Ontario Canada.I find it makes you relax and gear back . Boy, do I miss snow.....
    The ornaments are beautiful . Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, the rag wreath. Must try that someday.

    What a fabulous strong tree! Thanks for giving us some perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the rag wreath! It actually has a very French look! The red-and-white fabric is a classic in French kitchen and table linens. Really nice and a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute cute cute...again!
    Hey..do you think I could use the plastic ring from the inside of the tape roll to make those wreaths? or the cardboard rings from ribbons, etc? ...seems like a waste to use those nice hoops. (we can't get them cheap here)

    You're so creative!
    Keep up the wonderful recyling and green ideas!

    Merry Christmas to you!
    (On my blog I gave you the Christmas Spirit Award...but it's a tag thing & I perfectly understand if you don't continue it..but I thought maybe a few more people would check out your wonderful words and ideas!)

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in such envy. Getting snowed in with the kids and crafting together. I miss having kids around. You live a lovely life there, Missy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great ornaments! I see the tiny wreath in the enormous tree. Very big and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your wreaths are beautiful and I'm glad you took the time to listen to your youngest ;)

    Now you're encouraging me to dig out the pictures I took of our newspaper wreath. A hunting I shall go...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's an incredible tree. I love blue spruce trees! I shall admire your ornaments from afar...I'd love to think I would have time to make my own, but the truth is that I just don't. They are lovely. And want to eat the latest one. It looks like it tastes good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found you over at The Crafty Crow, and I'm so glad I did - these wreaths are so cute and simple to make!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful simple gifts!!!! love them all, and love that you have options for all ages!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I especially LOVE the rag wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi :) I am visiting from the Crafty Crow and wanted to thank you for the wonderful wreath ideas! The rag wreath is especially sweet! Blessings & a very happy Christmas to you, Q

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the wreaths! Thanks for sharing! This will definitely be something my girls will love to do. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that you re-use materials, like the yogurt lid rather than a nice embroidery hoop and of course cracker boxes. And they are wonderful crafts! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the cloth scrap wreath. Simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete