Friday, July 24, 2015

birds, trees and toast


The above "indigo" bunting was dyed and hand stitched by a 10 year old who had never sewn before, but had a burning desire to make a bird. Amazing right?! Thread and needle were not going to be part of the first week of camp, but everyone got the itch to work with their beautiful blue fabric. Next week the entire focus is sewing and a bit of weaving. I'm fired up and ready for teaching some brand new projects- like this nature weaving in a Y stick.
I'm also trying to figure out if there is any way we can use parts of the giant white pine that landed on our barn/garage earlier this week in a freak storm. It was quite traumatic, since my daughter and I were standing at the back door watching the rain pour down and the winds pick up when it came crashing down a few feet away. We were extremely lucky, and now are looking for ways to celebrate such a special tree that we looked at each day from our dining room window for the last 14 years. 
An hour after it fell, the sun had returned and the mail carrier drove up with my copy of Pixie Lighthorse's brand new book- Prayers of Honoring. The timing couldn't have been more perfect, as there was a blessing called "Honoring the Forces of Nature" on page 33. Pixie's wisdom has been a guiding force in my life since the first day we met and it's wonderful to have a volume of her words to reach for when looking for meaning and ways to recognize important moments in life. 
 And now it's time to start the weekend with my current favorite meal- avocado toast. I love it for breakfast, lunch or dinner! I know it's the current urban trend, but there's a reason- perfect deliciousness! There are so many variations- but they all start with a good piece of bread and a ripe avo. This is actually gluten-free- but I am eating wheat again now and then.  I take a sliver of garlic and rub it over the warm toast. A little drizzle of olive oil comes next. Mash avocado directly onto toast and layer it with whatever's on hand. Heirloom tomatoes here, but the other day it was topped with shaved radishes, and goat cheese. Finish it up with coarse salt and fresh pepper.
Have a super weekend, friends!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. That little bird us the sweetest thing I have ever seems! And the toast makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 10 year old's desire is beautiful. And I like your Y branch weaving.

    Poor old tree. I'm sure you'll find a way to honor and use it well.

    Yum on the toast. I can't wait for my tomatoes to ripen.

    ReplyDelete