Thursday, May 21, 2015

the color of bliss

 I am not usually drawn to working with a lot of colors. Although my palette has consisted of white and neutral for so long, there has always been a place for blue. In dabbling with indigo dye, I've discovered how touching, rinsing, hanging, winding, folding, stitching with blue is extremely soothing. There is a sense of serenity and bliss while working each day with the color of the sky and water in my hands. Yes. The color of sky and water in my hands. I wonder if that feeling can be felt through this screen, because I want to offer it everyone… not keep it for myself.
 I will be bringing these blue bliss bowls to the Squam Art Fair, but will be making more for my shop this summer. I can't stop making them. I love the striping- the color blocking surprises that happen along the way. It makes each one feel like magic… as if they have a spirit of their own, and I am just guiding the rope through the machine. Isn't that so cool?!
 Look at how captivating the interiors are! I know I sound a bit crazy in love with my own making. I kind of am! And how can that not be a wonderful thing?!
 Below is a bowl containing the rope that I double dyed this week for a richer blue. It's subtly different, and I love both shades equally. Luckily, I made sure to double dye hundreds and hundreds of feet in this shade, just in case it was a good one..
  And while I was at it, I wound and folded, twisted and rubber banded all of my white linen to throw into my dye vat. I've got plans!
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Maya, I LOVE your new baskets. The color, the idea that they're rope and handmade and blue-and-white and look right at home on wood etc. I just adore them. I am so happy just looking at them! Okay, I'll stop gushing now and go do something useful with myself. Have a glorious weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with LiEr! Just looking at those bowls makes me happy! I have a big smile on my face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. indigo is heaven on earth.
    plain and simple.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving them Maya! Welcome to your bliss. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the white baskets you were popping out, but love these even more. Curious to see what you do with the linen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are gorgeous!
    I just picked up some blue dyed fabric at Goodwill the other day. I was completely drawn to it.

    ReplyDelete