Tuesday, September 23, 2014

sweet

Along with the fall equinox comes my son's birthday. He was born 16 years ago (and a day or two)! My first child. It's been the most rewarding job imagineable... What an extraordinary and unpredictable journey motherhood is. This weekend was a celebration of what a beautiful young man that baby boy has grown into. The candles on his cake were the very same ones from his first and sixth birthday. I know you're not too surprised given how sentimental I am, right. As he blew out the flames, I felt my chest expanding with the now familiar mama ache that grows from a mingling of love, pride and longing. Love for this wonderful guy that is so much a part of me, but very much his own person. Pride in his brilliance, sensitivity and maturity. Longing for time to slow down. Wasn't it just yesterday that he was putting a fistful of his first birthday cake (apple juice sweetened carrot cake) into his tiny mouth? Everyone always tells you how fast it flies - but you don't know they're right until you're saying it yourself to a new mom. So just treasure every hard, bumbly and precious moment. And celebrate. Everything. Because one day you're strapping them into their car seat and before you know they're taking the wheel. Gulp.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your beautiful & talented son, my friend, and to you too, mama ! What a meaningful, true & touching post you've written here, I'm all teary eyed you know !!!! So true in so many ways. Sending you all big warm hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are soooooo right, in your words!
    I'm a mother too, and my oldest has 10, almost 11. I also feel that he is growing up too fast.

    When I tell him that, he smiles at me, with those lovely eyes, and says: "Oh mum!!!!"
    I miss him already...

    Happy birthday to you both and don´t Forget to be happy!

    ReplyDelete