Monday, October 25, 2010

happier halloween

carving
 I know so many folks are into scary and spooky right about now, but not so much around here. We love Halloween, but have made our own traditions be much more about silly and happy. It began when my son was little. I discovered that one of my favorite holidays looked very different from the eyes of a new mother. I didn't find there to be a lot of Halloween activities that felt appropriate for a small child... from scary costumes to tons of candy. Over the years we've loosened up. Our second child has experienced trick or treating  since she was carried in a sling, but our gentle beginnings carried over and created the foundation for how we celebrate. The children still trade (most) of their loot for healthier/organic chocolates and candy. Costumes are made out of stuff around the house and with lots of hands on from the kids and raiding of the dress up corner. This means that there may be multiple costumes all in one year. They tend to be humor based for my son and fantasy or animal inspired for my daughter.
carved happy peeps
And the pumpkins... kinda sweet looking don't you think.  The wooden tools, in particular, do lend themselves to happy faces. I've searched high and low on the web for a source for all of you, but to no avail. We got them at a California Waldorf school garage sale 11 years ago. Please shout out if you have any notion about them.
carving tools
But even when my son's carving didn't go as planned (gouged eye), the solution was one of the cheeriest pirates (and his "parrot") I've ever seen.
carved pirate
So this week I'll be working on helping the littlest finalize who she shall be. She's already attended a party as a zebra. My son's pizza delivery boy outfit should be the easiest costume to date. How are your Halloween plans going? Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Ok, that pirate pumpkin is probably the cutest carved pumpkin creation i've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what darling pumpkins! we're into "silly" around here as well. those tools look quite handy. I'll be interested to see if the source turns up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charming! I grew up using wooden tools exactly like those, and our house was definitely not waldorf or crafty, which leads me to believe they were quite easily found at that point, perhaps even from the grocery store. The new plastic sets just aren't the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you silly and happy, to much gore out there today. Costumes that are homemade are so much more charming than some plastic yuck and synthetic glam. I love the idea of a pizza delivery outfit. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went very simple with the Halloween pumpkins. I'm not carving them! I put a pie pumpkin in a giant martini glass filled with crinkle paper I saved from a gift basket. The other little pumpkin sits at the base next to a ceramic decoration we've had and reuse forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason, I am majorly behind the eight ball this year....I am going into Halloween overdrive tomorrow. I can make up a lot of ground in a day! Pumpkins.....beware!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason, I am majorly behind the eight ball this year....I am going into Halloween overdrive tomorrow. I can make up a lot of ground in a day! Pumpkins.....beware!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pirate pumpkin is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't do "scary" here, either. Although my husband does enjoy carving bats or pirates into his pumpkins! We're completely in love with all thing pumpkin...so that's what we end up focusing on. And creating funny costumes! Enjoy your Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with you Maya...I can't say I am a big fan of Halloween( and I don't say that much) but, the gentler, silly & fun version I love. Your pumpkins are the sweetest I have seen and we are still scrambling to get the girls costumes together! Couldn't make up their minds! :)
    xo
    Melis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maya, your tools are hole cutters made for potters. They are very inexpensive & woooonderful! You can find similar ones here:

    http://www.amazon.com/Four-Clay-Tools-Hole-Cutters/dp/B000Y8W71I

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hurray Victoria!! I just knew someone would have the answer! Thanks so much, I'm going to go check them out...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course we don't celebrate Halloween in Australia but I just love your pumpkins Maya.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pumpkins! I finished the kids' costumes a week or so back. Ever since I've been wondering what I've forgotten - I'm so used to the last minute rush that I miss it when it's not happening...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love your pumpkins Maya.This looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete