Thursday, September 2, 2010

chilled roasted tomato soup

chilled roasted tomato soup
 Good morning! I have another post planned for later today, but silly me, I got up early to share what I whipped up last night. I'm that excited about it. And as the northeast embarks on another day of incredible heat,  I thought you might enjoy a recipe that didn't involve heating up the kitchen at the hottest time of the day.  We're at that crazy favorite time of year when we struggle to keep up with all of the tomatoes piling up on the counter. This will takes care of some of them in the easiest possible way. In fact, it almost makes itself. Who could ask for more?

How to:
Early in the morning, toss into a roasting pan:
  • chopped very ripe tomatoes and throw in any cherry sized ones whole
  • one or two coarsely chopped onions
  • splash of olive oil
  • dash of oregano
  • salt and pepper
Roast at 450 degrees until they cave in and you see a few tinges of black on several tips of assorted tomatoes. 30 to 45 min.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Transfer to a glass jar or dish and store in the fridge.
When ready to serve puree the chilled ingredients in a blender with:
-a little sugar or maple syrup
-water or vegetable stock (I used water and it was still impressive) to thin it slightly

Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt, a twist of ground pepper and  a sprig of basil.

Note: I'm sure this would taste wonderful hot, but I've never made tomato soup because my children turn their noses up to it.  Amanda just recently posted about  a wonderful  tomato/carrot soup that her kids miraculously love. I'll have to try her variation as soon as the temperature drops.

Thanks for your lovely September favorites! I'll have to add chilled roasted tomato soup to my faves. See you soon! Pin It

7 comments:

  1. OH! This looks so good!! I just canned 14 Quarts of spaghetti sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is up with the heat? Granted I'm in the Southeast, not the Northeast, but our high is 94 today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! GREAT recipe! I will do it soon - for sure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious. My better half loves tomatoes, but will only eat soups in which he can't actually see specific vegetables--this just might fit the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite soup. I love to add garlic cloves and freshly chopped basil. Our tomatoes are done for the season, but I did manage to put up 16 quarts to enjoy later in the year. Trying to keep cool here in the coastal south too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting up from the computer to try this right now! You always seem to know what I have leftover in the fridge :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a winter version of this last week - we needed to keep warm in our cold Melbourne winter/spring! I also roasted red capsicums/peppers in the oven with the tomatoes, and added vegetable stock. Then, like you, we used Greek yoghurt but added coriander instead of basil.I must remember to serve it as a cold summer soup for my family.

    ReplyDelete