The other day my mother made these little diy harmonicas with my daughter. They were an instant hit! With a little blowing, they make a satisfying sound that can change pitch by moving the paper sliders up and down. Very cool. We're going to make a bunch and have a backyard Forth of July parade with harmonicas for everyone! You might want to also... or at least gather the simple supplies so that you can make some whenever the need arises for a little music.
- 3 rubber bands: 1 wide, 2 small
- two popsicle sticks
- two pieces of sturdy paper 3/4 inch wide and long enough for each side to fold over completely (ours was 2 1/4)
- Gather materials.
- Lay one stick on top of the other with the paper strips spaced like in the photo.
- Fold over each piece of paper.
- Secure paper with a little tape. Tape shouldn't touch the sticks at all.
- Carefully slip out the bottom stick.
- Stretch the longer rubber band around the length of the top stick. Place the bottom stick directly under it and secure them both with the two smaller rubber bands.
Have great weekend everyone!