Tuesday, May 25, 2010

southwestern quinoa salad






















So glad you enjoyed the picnic bowl "scrunchie" as Stephanie called it. There were some requests for the salad.  This is not so much a recipe, as an idea of what to toss in a bowl to bring to your next picnic. We usually have it towards the end of the summer when tomatoes and corn are everywhere... but our recent heat wave brought on the craving for it NOW! Quinoa is such a wonderful little grain for salads. It absorbs dressings beautifully and adds a delicate texture to any dish. I like to use it in place of bulgur wheat for tabouleh, but that's another salad.

Southwestern Quinoa Salad:
Make quinoa and let cool in a large bowl to room temp. (2 cups grain to 4 cups of water)
Add the following in the amounts that suit your taste:
  • cooked black beans
  • fresh or frozen corn kernels
  • finely chopped onions
  • diced carrots
  • red bell peppers
  • olive oil
  • brown rice vinegar (or whatever vinegar you have on hand)and/or lime juice
  • dash of dried oregano
  • salt
  • chipotle powder or adobo sauce (that held chipotles)... if not available a dash of cayenne
Mix together...taste... season some more until your happy. Arrange in a bowl or on a platter topped with chopped cilantro, cherry tomatoes (and avocados!) Enjoy! Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe. I LOVE quinoa. I usually just make it with vegetable broth, cranberries, and almonds. Or, I put it in homemade veggie burgers. This recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds SO good, Maya! Thanks...I may get it done in time for company tonight!

    Jackie, how do you make your veggie burgers? They sound good made with quinoa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to try this tonight. I have a bag of quinoa on hand and didn't really know what to do with it. This sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, i have been lost in the mayhem of may and missed your last post. i did not see that beautiful pic of your salad.

    yet today, mind you just a couple of hours ago, i sat at lunch and so randomly thought to myself....*i should find a new quinoa salad recipe. that sounds like a nice lunch.* seriously! thanks for being there for me gal! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomatoes AND a heatwave... I'm jealous (it's still raining here)! Come August I am making this salad for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so good and pretty easy to make. You have just given me a wonderful idea for the next picnic. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe! I always make the same quinoa salad every time and any other recipes I have found unappetizing. I have all these ingredients in my cabinet and I am going to make this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete