Our favorite swimming hole is part of a creek (pronounced crick in these parts) that runs into Taughannock Falls. We swam with friendly crayfish, sat in cascading water, and ate wild apples from a tree overhead.
It was easy to love our day. While we were there I began to think about how simple it is to be happy when you're in paradise. But not every day looks like this, really. Each day has many challenges and some more than others. Yet, my goal has always been to LOVE EACH DAY. So how do I practice that in the midst of an average day. Right out there at the creek I started to make a list of things that I try to do each day to feel content and whole.
If only as a reminder to myself, but then I thought about sharing it with you... maybe you might want to add to the list in the comment section of what makes you happy.
Here's what I jotted down:
- Celebrate whatever season I'm in with passion. Whether it's gathering apples by the bushel or curling up by the wood stove with a bowl of soup. I try not to wish for anything else (like say, the tropics).
- Eat delicious, fresh, homemade meals each day. I can't tell you what an impact good food makes on my day... even more so if it's made by me or someone I love.
- Float in water... I'm a huge believer in nightly baths. They melt away stress and transport me.
- Make something... you saw that one coming!
- Give, in someway, to someone in need. This can be as simple as listening to a friend or as big as contributing to a charitable cause. Either way, it helps me to step out of myself and see someone else's world.
- Stay present in the moment... allowing my children to pull me back if I drift. They always remind me what is truly important.
- Being grateful for all that I have.
What do you do to love each day?