Thursday, March 19, 2009

simple spring basket: how to

Tomorrow marks the return of spring: the Vernal Equinox. I can't remember a March when it actually felt like spring, but here we are with no snow on the ground and birds by the thousands filling the skies. This little basket is adding a sunny touch to my daughter's room... filled with a raffia nest and wooden eggs from her play kitchen. It's the perfect craft for this first weekend in spring... quick and easy to whip up with only basic sewing skills needed. It would also make a great basket for Easter or a sweet little party favor container. I kept mine very simple, but you can think of these as little canvases to embellish with your own style. A recipe for you to interpret your own way... Make them out of any kind of felt. I used cotton batting, because I have so many scraps leftover from my burlap buckets... and it performs exactly like felt! I'm also fond of white.

Spring Basket

Need:one piece of felt or batting measuring: 8x13 inches
one piece of " ": 2x11 inches
contrasting felt for flowers and leaves
2 buttons
pinking shears


Make:

1. cut out rectangle
2. fold in half and sew up the sides with a 1/4 inch seam allowance... trim excess with pinking shears
3. make boxed corners by opening and folding in the opposite direction with the seam now falling right in the middle (see photo)
4.keeping seams even with one another on both sides, mark and sew a 3 1/2 inch seam over the corner... trim off excess triangle (from the corner)
you now have your basket... fold over top about an inch

5. Make handle: fold 11x2 piece of felt in half the long way. Sew up each side with a 1/4 seam allowance. Trim excess with pinking shears.
6. Cut out eight flower petals (I made hearts for simplicity) and two leaves
7. Sew handle to the outside of basket directly over side seam.
8. Tack four flower petals and leaf together with a few hand stitches. Attach flowers with buttons covering where the handle meets the basket.

Fill and enjoy!

There are so many ways you can personalize these... covered in felt flowers, applique, embroidery, buttons... I'd love to hear how you create yours! And if you're a maker who doesn't sew... I have a basket just for you coming up. Pin It

38 comments:

  1. So sweet, Maya. Love the simplicity, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is really cute- I may have to make one for my son this easter- thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh this is a nice little project for the weekend, I can see it with a couple of ducks eggs in as gifts!

    Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! Sweet! Sweet!

    Oh, that makes me want to start making Easter-decorations as well...

    Best wishes,
    K.
    PilliPilli Handmade

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh and yet again another useful & beautiful thing to make ... Thanks so much dearest Maya !! Have a great day today ! oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are always my hero! Stupid as I was, I was looking in the stores to buy a new basket for eastern-eggs! But of course: I should make some myself! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute!
    Thanks for showing all the steps.
    They would make great little Easter gifts.
    Have a wonderful beginnig of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maya, this is so sweet! Just yesterday I was looking for a gift bag and thought... hmmm, I'd rather have a basket of some sort and this would be perfect!


    Thanks for sharing and happy spring!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! Perfect for my lil girl to go easter egg hunting with.

    Thank you for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely basket, feels so natural and cozy. I laughed when I read your last line because I was already wondering if I could hot-glue this basket together. But really, I just need to find a space to keep my machine out at all times. Looking forward to your next project and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you SO much for this post Maya. I've been trawling the web looking for ideas for easter egg baskets for me nieces and this is perfect!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing! I was looking for a quick, easy easter basket idea for my girls. Now I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute idea, if I get around to crafting with the kids for Easter, we may do a version of this with glue.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, so perfect! I will certainly make two of these tonight to hold our spring treasures for tomorrow! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the idea, it would be an easy thing to do for my 7yo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this!
    I linked to this from my blog; hope that's okay.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is super cute! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable. I love another excuse to sew box corners. They really jazz an item up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How darling! I'll be making two for my daughters. I just told my husband last night we need to buy Easter baskets -- but this is SO-O much better! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful post to return home to.
    I love the early spring we are having here.
    My fingers are crossed in hope that it lasts .

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a wonderful project. I like the way you used batting--great idea! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this idea! I recently discovered your wonderful blog--added it to my blog-roll.
    :)
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. so sweet. your blog is so nice. thanks for sharing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Too cute! I posted some we made in a kids' sewing club at http://www.sewingschool.blogspot.com. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aww, that's beautiful, I love it! I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a sweet little basket Maya!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just can't get enough of Easter and Spring projects! Thanks for making my day with your sweet and simple tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. wonderful!
    i like it!

    i set a link to this tutorial at my blog.

    i hope you'll agree.
    if not, please leave a short comment.

    doro.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much!!! I just made this for my 1 year old little girl. It is the perfect size for her.

    ReplyDelete
  30. so sweet and lovely, very spring, very girly. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. A perfect basket for my softie Easter Buns. Thanks!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi, thank you so much for your great instructions. I've used the idea to create this Hot Cross Bun basket.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26500265@N02/3425067410/in/pool-heroarts

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are absolutely darling! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  34. what a beautiful idea! thank you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  35. thanks so much, maya!
    here's mine...
    http://gidgetgoeshome.com/2010/03/31/muffins-and-felt/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your work is wonderful! Absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi there! I love this idea...it's so darling...and I was hoping that you might add it to my Easter and Spring Linking Party to share with my readers. If you are interested, you can go here http://bakedbyjoanna.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-linking-party.html to enter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is so cute, and looks simple enough even for me! How big does the basket end up being? I want to make one big enough to hold some little toys for my kids' Easter baskets.

    ReplyDelete