It was a success, and we all decided that another was necessary for Valentine's Day. No one in my family complained about making it a week early so that I could share it with you. We've had heart cake for dessert for the last three nights in a row! The extra batter went into cupcakes.
So here's what I did. I'm sure there are many wonderful recipes for ice cream cake. This is just my can't fail/ anyone can make this version. A heart pan isn't necessary, but does make it special.
- Bake your favorite layer cake in your pan and let cool.
- Invert onto a plate and wash out cake pan. I traced and cut out a heart-shaped piece of parchment paper to bake the cake on this time... no sticking!
- Spread slightly softened ice cream in pan. Use strawberry for the pink effect.
- Layer cake onto ice cream and freeze... we have yet to wait for this step!
- Place pan in dish of warm water for a few seconds.
- Invert onto serving plate and eat immediately. Get those leftovers back into the freezer, quick!