Wednesday, May 21, 2008

lettuce for julie


A maya*made reader, Julie, asked for info on the technique I used for edging on my daughter's green dress. I was hoping to tell her when I posted a picture of the completed dress...but my appreciative girl hasn't taken it off long enough for me to add that last part. So here is what I did to create the "lettuce" ruffle at the bottom hem and at the sleeves. I've only tried this with jersey knit fabric. Set your sewing machine to a tight zigzag, essentially a satin stitch. Sew along a raw edge and stretch fabric in both directions as you go. Take care to still let your machine feed the fabric and don't pull it through. That's it! It's very fun and super easy. The only drawback is that you go through a lot...I mean A LOT of thread! I cut off a pair of leggings that were too short and turned them into lettuce edged capris to slip on under the dress. I'd love to hear if others have a different way to achieve this look with a standard sewing machine. Hope this helps, Julie! Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great tutorial! But I give you props for the excellent execution. I tried this technique, and it was really tough for me to stay on the fabric edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how you did that too! Thanks for the tip:) It is such a pretty detail on the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doodlebug, try it on several different weights of jersey...and I think the first time was a bit messy for me too!

    Shannah, Thanks and I love your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, oh, oh!!! I haven't checked the blog until now. I would have liked to be the first one commenting this, of course.
    Thank you so much!!! It's totally understandable instruction. The only questions I have are these, if you don't mind:
    1-What kind of thread do you use? Stretch, or normal?
    2-After you sew this, you should go and cut the borders outside the thread? Or you just sew along the very very edge of the fabric?
    Other than that, I will try it soon! I'll let you know how it worked.
    THANK YOU!!!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. julie, thanks for asking for clarification...didn't mean to leave out those important details.
    1. Use basic thread. I used 100%cotton
    2.Sew at the edge of the fabric and a raw edge will become finished and ruffled.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maya, thanks soooo much, can't wait to try this on some of our cast-offs! all the best, Sara
    www.creativejewishmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect! Thanks for sharing this great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you I was wondering how you do this...

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you SO much! i've always wondered how to get this type of ruffled edge! :) lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hy Maya, many many years ago, a friend of my did this very same thing, to new cheap t shirts, since boys were cheaper, she would sew around the sleeve cuffs and the neckline. Turns into the cutest little ruffled t shirt for little girls, then add any kind of decorations you want. Try it..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you do the same technique hand sewing?

    ReplyDelete